New GX1 owner

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by chicaboo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Hi gang,

I'm newly registered, but have read the forums for a while from Google searches on camera hardware. I'm a long time DPR member, but I decided to join the friendly Mu-43 forums after seeing so much rubbish over at the other place. A couple of you might work out who I am over there.

I ordered a silver GX1 last week when the price came down to $366.97pp body only. Unfortunately the 3-6 days delivery time has been stretched out a little longer than I like [in the meantime silver body price has gone up, and black bodies have come down another $20!].

In any case, my 25/1.4 and used 14-45 have turned up, so I've been able to play with them on my E-PL1. The 25/1.4 focuses very fast [and noisily], while I enjoy the FOV from this lens very much. I also have a 45/1.8 I received a couple of weeks ago, which I think is the best value lens you can get, full stop. I've got a LVF2 and TP black leather half case on the way, too.

I was an early adopter to the m43 with the E-PL1 twin kit, featuring the woefully slow 14-42 lens. Before the E-PL2 was announced, I imported a 14-42II MSC lens off the E-PL1s from Japan. This pretty much resolved my focus speed issues, and so I was content with the E-PL1 ever since [particularly since adding the VF-2].

Currently I'm looking to offload my E-620 and 43 lenses, and soon after my gorgeous E-PL1 with black leatherette and half case. I expect some time down the track I may end up with a G5, GH3 or an Olympus that can do 1/6000th or better shutter speed. In the meantime, I'm hoping my GX1 can get here soon so that I can stuck into learning the Panasonic menus and features.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.
    welcome to this woderful forum and GX1 is a gem . I agree with you that Oly 45 mm 1.8 is the best lens money can buy in MFT world.Hope to see some pics from you very soon.
    Cheers

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome to the club

Welcome Chicaboo,

The GX1 is a superb camera and your lens lineup is a perfect mix that will get the best from the brilliant sensor.

I have been an avid supporter of the system since buying the GF1 after launch and finally upgrading to the GX1 last year with no regrets.

I hope you will enjoy the camera as much as I do and good luck.

[​IMG]

4. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Hi Bhup,

Firstly, thanks for the welcome. And yes, considering you can get a 45/1.8 and 25/1.4 for the price of a 75/1.8, it should be in everybody's camera bag [or mounted to the body, even].

When I've got my head around Lightroom, and stop losing all my collections, I'll upload some sets to my flickr and post the link here. I've started uploading the images to the NAS, and then import/copy as DNG in LR to my local PC. I'm not sure if this is the best method, but at least it keeps my RAW files separate from the worked DNG files.

5. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Hi Ian,

Way back in the day I pained over whether to get the E-PL1 or the GF1. Looking back the GF1 would've given me more manual control, which is the drive for me moving to the GX1 now. Although I don't regret my decision, as I have enjoyed using the E-PL1, but it does slow me down having to use so many button presses to change aperture, etc...

You're black GX1 looks great dressed up. I'm hoping the silver with the TP black half case will come up nicely, and add somewhat of a retro look [since the Aki Asahi leatherette is not so great on the GX1]. The main thing I was worried about was the highly contrasting appearance of a silver 45/1.8 on the front of an otherwise entirely black camera.

Thanks for the greets!

6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'd prefer a black 45mm but I don't think the silver looks all that bad. Congrats on the GX1.
    7955820412_661ab29c6e_b.
    Dust!! ):

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice

John,

That 45mm looks great and I have heard it is a great performer!

8. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I read that Olympus are putting out a special edition black 45/1.8, but no word on pricing yet.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! This really is a friendly place - lots of good folks. :smile:

10. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks Ian.

It is and relatively affordable too.

11. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I heard that too. I'll probably end up with one eventually.

12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    That rumour was corrected...Olympus is supposed to be putting out a black 12mm not 45.

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Welcome! I too got fed up with that fiery DPR site and am very happy at this wonderful forum. :smile:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

14. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes. This place is sooOOoo much nicer than DPR! :smile:

So, after 9 days I'm still waiting for my GX1 to turn up in 3-7 days. I tell myself if I deduct weekends, it should be here any minute now... :tongue: Some goods news is that a person has expressed interest in buying my E-620, so hopefully that goes off without a hitch. After selling off my 43 gear and manual focus lenses, I should recover most of my costs from switching to the GX1 and prime lenses. :biggrin:

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: FEDEX tracking says it is with the delivery courier now. :biggrin:

15. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    OK, it's finally here! So I spent some time playing with the camera on the partial charge that came out of the box. While it's charging I'll try and nut out some of the features in the manual. I have to get my head around this "simple" Panasonic user interface. :wink:

One thing that was bugging me was the LCD brightness changing from live view to playback. I took it off the A setting and set it to 1, which appears to have resolved that. AFF doesn't appear to work the way I thought it would either. The Quick AF option puzzles me, too. I'll have to skim through the manual and sought these issues out.

I see what people mean about this camera underexposing! Judging by the playback on the LCD, I might need to go +2/3EV. The pop-up and FL28 flashes appear to underexpose by 1EV as well, but it doesn't seem consistent. I haven't tried the FL-36R on it yet, but I'll be interested to see how that pans out, since it's TTL.

More to come soon. :smile:

PS: The E-620 sold in less than 24 hours. Now if only I can move the 14-54II just as quickly...

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome, chicaboo! Any hints those of us who haven't worked out your DPR alter ego? :tongue:

17. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Oh, I didn't realise I was issuing a challenge. :tongue: It's in my user profile.