1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New GX-85 Owner - A few Questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jmaher, Sep 12, 2016.

1. jmaher

jmaher Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    Jim
    Just received a GX-85 as I was looking for a small second system. I have used Olympus in the past and have some idea of the settings but I am getting lost with the GX-85. Downloaded the manual but I think it's a case of if you don't know what to look for it's hard to find the answer.

Two immediate questions:
    1)Can I get a clean display without the touch items to the right? I can not see how to turn this off and on. No matter what display option I choose they remain on until I press the shutter button half way. I have read and read the manual but I can not find how to do this.

2)When using an external flash (particularly a manual radio trigger) is there a way to increase the screen gain so that its shows the subject with live view gain turned up (instead of using the f stop you have it set at) so you can see what you are focusing on. I have yet to try this but didn't see anything in the manual. Maybe it works automatically? This option exists in the Olympus and Sony worlds. I don't have the flash system with me so haven't tried this yet.

Any insight would be appreciated. I am in general finding the menu system confusing.
    Jim

2. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    You can get a clean display by turning the touchscreen function off.
    I set the Fn2/Trash button to turn touch off and on.

Don't know about your second question.

All the menu systems on these extremely customizable cameras
    are going to be lengthy and require some time to get to know where things are.
    But for years now, the Panasonic menus have been acknowledged
    to be more user friendly than the labyrinthine Olympus menus.
    Your mileage may vary.

3. jmaher

jmaher Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    Jim
    Thank you, Just changed mine to FN 1 - much better to have this option.

I don't know which are better. In my case I already understand the Olympus menus and am currently mystified by the Panasonic ones. I am sure that will change and your insight has helped a lot.

Jim

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If I understand your second question right, turning the function that simulates shutter speed and aperture settings off should result in more auto-gain for the LCD and EVF.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Constant Preview is what that setting is called.

6. jmaher

jmaher Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    Jim
    Thanks, that sounds like exactly what i was looking for.
    Jim