new guy to m4/3s - hi!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shawngibson, Aug 9, 2010.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Hey guys, just saying hi, my first post.

Just bought an E-P2, had to get the kit zoom, wasn't available without...that's OK. I ordered the 50/2 macro and purchased the adaptor.

Just sold Canon 5D, 85/1.2Lii and 35/1.4, best setup I ever had, reason being, I spend a lot of time I'm on my bike (Ducati sport bike, not conducive to extra weight lol), and it was way too heavy. Other reason being, I shot maybe 5,000 images in the time I had it (several years, very long time for me, beautiful setup), and thinking back amongst all the setups I've had, I realized the Contax S2 with 50/1.4 Planar was my most USED setup - I took 1,000 pics in a shoot or more, in a day...and I miss those days (I have boxes of negs with that, probably 20,000 or more)...but can't afford a Leica and want really light weight.

So here's me saying hi, and posting an image with the kit lens, my kitty (lol) to see what it, the kit lens, can do.

I'm going to loose my wallet on cameraquest, I think...and I got the adaptor but I can't wait for the 50/2 to show up.

Any real world photos (people hopefully) of the Leica/Panny 25 lens?

Was gonna get the Panny 20/1.7 but I'd rather have a zoom for landscapes. The Leica would function as a 50, but I occasionally want to go wider, in unknown circumstances. Put it around my neck on the bike, stop when I see something, and shoot a landscape...

edit: I double sharpened this, sorry...once in the Olympus program, then in save-for-web with PS (bicubic sharper) after resizing:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. richiebee

richiebee Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    Love the kitty pic. I used to have one just like him/her.

3. districtdarkroom

districtdarkroom New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2010
    i look forward to seeing the 50/2 photos.

4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I think cats are the perfect break-in for a new camera. Very nice photo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

A lovely portrait, shawngibson - and thank you! Congrats on your new E-P2 and the various lenses, too. Check out the Adapted Lenses forum and I bet you'll find some that you're interested in...there's also a related image thread, too.

Both you and deirdre need to stop by our https://www.mu-43.com/f54/words-no-words-requisite-kitty-picture-3788/ thread and add your own.:biggrin:

Welcome aboard!

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Love the cat shot.

As for the lenses, I don't think there is enough differentiation from your 20mm lens to justify the cost of the P-L 25 and you are only getting a half-stop advantage. The 20mm focal lengh is OK as a general walk about lens and it is very compact. Speed, together with good ISO performance at 800 and 1600 will get you what you want with the 20mm lens.

The 20mm focal lenght is only marginal for landscapes. Too often you will find it just a bit too long but it is an excellent general lens. I would recommend the 9-18mm Olypmus M.Zuiko zoom as a good value lens to give you what you need for landscapes.

7. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone:). There will definitely be lots of kitty shots of Pebbles, above, and her brother, Bam Bam:).

I'm looking forward to playing around with lenses, a lot of Voigtlander offerings for example look quite interesting.

Peter-I've seen plenty of 20/1.7 images and reviews online, and it's a no brainer; beautiful lens for candid and down to earth portraits. The Leica, reviews don't seem great occassionally but I would rather base it on IQ. If it's got oodles of character and resolves well, I may get it over the 20/1.7. Otherwise it's the Panny for sure:)

For wide IQ is paramount to me, so it doesn't have to be a constant aperture megaglass behemoth. Seems there are a few offerings out there to consider.

Can't wait for the 50 to arrive. Going away on my bike next week so between it and the kit lens I'm all set to record my journey:)

Shawn

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Shawn - you will find lots of interest here.

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Shawn, great having you over here! :friends:

Cheers

Brian

10. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Guess I'm a little late in saying welcome. I need to check the site more often.

I'm also fairly new here because I've only owned the E-P2 for about a month.

I think you'll like the camera and I know you'll enjoy this site.

A lot of very nice people here who are willing to share a wealth of information and if you're like me (new to Olympus) you'll have several questions to ask about your camera.

11. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Haha I've only owned it for about a week, very inspiring. Still waiting for my real first lens (50/2) but here's the kit lens. I tried to go to Hamilton today and shoot industrial stuff, but it didn't happen. Made it to Hamilton, but traffic was so bad that my Duck started overheating so I came home. Took pics, drinking beer, and playing in Photoshop.

Here is a self portrait in progress (kit zoom as with all of them right now); I am in the midst of fixing the mask for the chain...it's a WIP lol:

[​IMG]

The other two are Rothko studies I guess LOL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, a DR test, handheld untouched. Real world stuff, worked well, only a couple of the boring books got blown out :))):

[​IMG]

Haven't shot in a long time so I'm starting to feel good again:):):)

Shawn

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Shawn,
    Welcome. The DNR image is very powerful!
    Your bike, is it a bike or a bike?
    Shooter

13. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    It's a Ducati, which worked great last year but is being very finicky this year. I went from Toronto to Maine and home in 5 days last year. I wasn't thinking about pics, more about my wrist and arse, and forging on...Ironbutt LOL, but I did take some snapshots. Sorry for the bad pics and terrible webpage, this year I was hoping to do it right but the bike had other plans. Here's my crazy endurance race last year: http://avxtc.net/mytrip/pics.html

Untitled Document

14. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Good bike! I'm doing the Harley thing. It goes with the Patriot Movement.
    Ironbutt, do my 98 Sportster with the LePera lowrider seat for 500 miles..... It ain't just the arse that's hurtin'.
    Looking forward to your photos....
    Don

15. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Funny you say that cuz I've decided to trade my bike for an xr1200 next year I put almost $85,000 into this bike but I like to ride, and it's not conducive to that, likes to go fast. XR1200 with bags and upgraded suspension is the way to go for me...and still a v twin:)