New guy needs help with lens accessories

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RickVaughn, Aug 8, 2012.

1. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Hi everyone,

My first post and I could use some advice...

Recently purchased the E-PL1 along with the 45 and 40-150. I'm struggling trying to find lens hoods and filters for both. I did place an order for some cheaper hoods from a third party vendor, but had to cancel the order after an unexplained delay in shipping.

If you happen to have either (or both) of these lenses, what do you use with and where is a good place to locate the gear for a reasonable price (Ebay and ???)

Thanks in advance!

2. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Dang! No love for the new guy?...

3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I have the 40-150 and i dont use anything UV filter, nor a hood, nay, even the lens. It sits there staring at me like an unwanted child. I dont live in the US nor UK (i dont really know where you're from so i cant say where to get your stuff) EBay and i think B&H photo is a good place to shop, too.

What interests me is that you opted for the longer lenses, not even the kit zoom. Anyway, hope someone here points you to the right direction.

Oh, welcome aboard, mate!

4. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    What interests me is that you opted for the longer lenses, not even the kit zoom. Anyway, hope someone here points you to the right direction.

Oh, welcome aboard, mate![/QUOTE]

Just happened to find a refurbished 40-150 for $149, so I grabbed it while I could. Waiting until next month's announcements to buy a lens, or lenses, to cover the shorter end.

5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Just happened to find a refurbished 40-150 for $149, so I grabbed it while I could. Waiting until next month's announcements to buy a lens, or lenses, to cover the shorter end.[/QUOTE]

The lumix 12-35/2.8 is a good place to start covering up from wide to a longer normal focal length and f2.8 constant to boot :cool:

6. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    That would be nice, but quite a bit out of my price range. I was considering the 14mm for $170 and then perhaps the 20 or 25 - maybe Photokina will have something new I could grab.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    For the O40-150 the part number for the hood is "LH-61D". Do a search on that and you'll get all kinds of purchasing options (both for the Oly version as well as non-OEM versions). That lens uses 58mm filters, I believe.

The O45 (I'm assuming that's the lens your referring to rather than the Panasonic/Leica 45mm macro) uses an "LH-40B" hood. Again, you can find both OEM and non-OEM versions. It uses 37mm filters.

I'm not sure what type of filters you are looking for, but one option you might consider to avoid buying duplicate filters for the two different sized lenses is to purchase 52mm filters and a 37-58mm step-up ring to use them on the smaller lens.

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    If you are on a budget then after-market items from Amazon are far cheaper and will do the job.

OEM goods will cost an arm and a leg and do the same.

9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have JJC hoods on my lenses (including the O45 and 40-150). Got them from enjoyyourcamera.com, who are based in Germany. They ship to most places, but the shipping costs can be expensive. No connection, just a happy customer.

10. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Anyone use collapsible rubber hoods for their lenses?

11. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Yes, I prefer them, though purists probably look on in horror :) They are convenient and if you accidentally knock them they don't send a shock wave into the lens and camera.

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I use a rubber hood with my P20...with a pancake lens I feel like a non-collapsible hood sort of negates the size advantage. For my longer lenses I generally go with a solid hood.

13. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I bought the proper Olympus hoods for my O45 and 40-150. I've tried 3rd party hoods in the past and have always been disappointed with the fit (and finish).

For filters I used to use Hoya UV's but have now switched to B+W.

Colin

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim