New guy from NZ

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DeepBlueSky, Aug 4, 2016.

1. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Hello Everyone,
    Saying Hi from Christchurch, New Zealand I'm just a family guy in his late '40's who has always enjoyed photography and now wants to push it a bit further, and rekindle my passion for Photography.

I'm the happy owner of a new Olympus om-d e-m10 II with the Twin Lens Kit.

Camera History
    I'm new to MFT, and its been awhile since I have owned a system camera. I originally owned a Pentax SFX 35mm SLR from new back in the '80's built up a good kit, then work, life, kids and digital arrived. I sold it all when digital took off though I wished I had kept some my lenses 50mm 1.7 and 500mm Mirror.

My first digital a Canon A80, even though it was was 4MP it produced some great shots and I still have it, then came the Lumix FZ35 that I bought to capture family shots of my then newborn second daughter, again another great camera and I still own this camera also. Then came phones with cameras I know sorry they are not proper cameras but they work to capture the unplanned moments.

Requirements for a new camera
    I didn't want the size of an SLR been there done that just not portable enough for me I would just end up not taking it on trips; but I didn't want a small sensor either, I had issues with noise and blur during night shots as I enjoy not always using a flash and hand holding the camera, plus I wanted the ability to alter settings to create effects etc. basically have fun.

Olympus M10 II

All I can say is WOW, after deciding on MFT as my new format and researching the heck out the internet I decided on the Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-II I prefered the ergonomics it felt right and it is a beast I'm really happy with the results.

Enough typing here are some photos they say it all :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  2. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Apologies in advance for the typos, should of checked before posting; the system won't let me fix them and thinks I'm spamming :).

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    John,

Welcome to the forums and to m43. And nice images. As a family guy, I think that m43 is ideal for both documentary uses and having fun.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  4. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Hi SVQUANT, thanks for the kind welcome. We are really enjoying the camera. I'm on the lookout for a good case now. I'm going to have to star building up a kit again ☺

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Beware the urge to find the perfect bag :) Having said that, check out the 100s of pages in 'Bags and More Bags' thread to see what people are carrying.

As regards building up a kit, I would also say that the kit lenses are pretty good for many things, so shoot away and look to see where you find them falling short. One suggestion I would make is a fast normal prime (17/20/25) for the indoor/low light situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Kia ora! Nice photos, please keep them coming:bravo-009:

7. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    You know i'm going to have find that thread :). I have no complaints with the kit lens they are fine for my needs, but i do agree on looking out for a prime in 35mm days a 50mm was the go which would be a 25mm MFT lens.

8. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Thanks for the kind comments, I took most of them on my first day with the camera. I still need to learn to drive this camera but I see it can deliver great results already.

9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You seem to be doing really well with the PP for only just having bought the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Should have added the PP is in camera using the built in features.

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Welcome from your neighbours in AU :)

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Small world. Welcome to the forum, fellow Christchurch resident!

14. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Thanks for your kind welcomes,hazwing and wjiang, definitely going to have some fun with this camera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.