1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New guy from NZ

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DeepBlueSky, Aug 4, 2016.

1. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Hello Everyone,
    Saying Hi from Christchurch, New Zealand I'm just a family guy in his late '40's who has always enjoyed photography and now wants to push it a bit further, and rekindle my passion for Photography.

I'm the happy owner of a new Olympus om-d e-m10 II with the Twin Lens Kit.

Camera History
    I'm new to MFT, and its been awhile since I have owned a system camera. I originally owned a Pentax SFX 35mm SLR from new back in the '80's built up a good kit, then work, life, kids and digital arrived. I sold it all when digital took off though I wished I had kept some my lenses 50mm 1.7 and 500mm Mirror.

My first digital a Canon A80, even though it was was 4MP it produced some great shots and I still have it, then came the Lumix FZ35 that I bought to capture family shots of my then newborn second daughter, again another great camera and I still own this camera also. Then came phones with cameras I know sorry they are not proper cameras but they work to capture the unplanned moments.

Requirements for a new camera
    I didn't want the size of an SLR been there done that just not portable enough for me I would just end up not taking it on trips; but I didn't want a small sensor either, I had issues with noise and blur during night shots as I enjoy not always using a flash and hand holding the camera, plus I wanted the ability to alter settings to create effects etc. basically have fun.

Olympus M10 II

All I can say is WOW, after deciding on MFT as my new format and researching the heck out the internet I decided on the Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-II I prefered the ergonomics it felt right and it is a beast I'm really happy with the results.

Enough typing here are some photos they say it all :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  2. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Apologies in advance for the typos, should of checked before posting; the system won't let me fix them and thinks I'm spamming :).

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    John,

Welcome to the forums and to m43. And nice images. As a family guy, I think that m43 is ideal for both documentary uses and having fun.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  4. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Hi SVQUANT, thanks for the kind welcome. We are really enjoying the camera. I'm on the lookout for a good case now. I'm going to have to star building up a kit again ☺

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Beware the urge to find the perfect bag :) Having said that, check out the 100s of pages in 'Bags and More Bags' thread to see what people are carrying.

As regards building up a kit, I would also say that the kit lenses are pretty good for many things, so shoot away and look to see where you find them falling short. One suggestion I would make is a fast normal prime (17/20/25) for the indoor/low light situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Kia ora! Nice photos, please keep them coming:bravo-009:

7. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    You know i'm going to have find that thread :). I have no complaints with the kit lens they are fine for my needs, but i do agree on looking out for a prime in 35mm days a 50mm was the go which would be a 25mm MFT lens.

8. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Thanks for the kind comments, I took most of them on my first day with the camera. I still need to learn to drive this camera but I see it can deliver great results already.

9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You seem to be doing really well with the PP for only just having bought the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Should have added the PP is in camera using the built in features.

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Welcome from your neighbours in AU :)

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Small world. Welcome to the forum, fellow Christchurch resident!

14. DeepBlueSky

DeepBlueSky Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016
    John Cobb
    Thanks for your kind welcomes,hazwing and wjiang, definitely going to have some fun with this camera.