1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Guy About to Pull the Trigger...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by irishdude, Apr 20, 2011.

1. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    Hey folks,

This is my first post, so a little background is in order. My wife and I both like photography. I have a background with older manual 35mm SLR cameras and have always used Nikon. We have been mostly working on our composition and feel like we are framing photos pretty well at this stage. We get a lot of compliments from our various friends and associates on our photographs. We both currently use Nikon CoolPix point and shoot cameras and now we are ready to move up to a more serious camera and my search has led me to the 4/3 camera format.

After much deliberation and taking into account features, image quality and pricing, I have pretty much settled on the Panasonic G2K. Initially I liked the Olympus E-PL2, but the more I think about it the more I think I would like one. I also like the in camera image stabilizatiion of the Olympus. However the G2K is winning out, becaue of the overall value.

I have found this one on sale with the lens for $439 new and it sounds like a heck of a deal. Keep in mind that I am also going to buy one just like it for my wife so value is important as well as having the same exact camera so we can help each other with the menus and features.

I realize that such a purchase is a fairly personal decision, but I though I would throw this post out there to see if there is anything that I should reconsider. The sale ends tonight at 12:00, so I need to decide by then.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Irishdude,

Here's my advice, use expedited shipping...

We'll see some posts from you more quickly....:smile:

Awesome piece of equipment...

Cheers, Alan

ps. I'm sure you'll soon see more contemplative remarks than those above...

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have not ONCE missed my Nikons, and take more non-work-related photos now than I have in years. The only mistake I ALMOST made was assuming I could use a smaller bag... now with the legacy glass, adapters, and cool accessories, I still use the same old Domke F2. It is just much lighter now!

PULL-THE-TRIGGER

4. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    I am very happy with my G2, and am still learning new things after a month or so of use. That's a great price. The (then not so low) low price value was a deciding factor for me. At your price it's about as low as upper end point and shoots, but can do much more. And I enjoy the having the always attached viewfinder, it comes in handy.

But beware, the more you enjoy it the more you'll want more lenses, etc.! At least in your case you can share lenses with your wife.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Oh, and if my wife was a photographer like me, we'd buy two different cameras to take advantage of the different features afforded by various brands/models, especially since most everything is interchangeable.

6. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    This is what I was going to suggest. Sounds like a great opportunity for you to get two different cameras, especially since you indicated you also liked the E-PL2. You may find that each of you like a different one a bit better, and each of you would have the opportunity to have something just a bit different at your disposal if the situation called for it. If you tried both and decided you really did not like one, you could always sell one and recoup most of what you spent on it.

That being said, you indicated it was important to you to have the exact same camera, so if you place a higher value on that, then you are making a fine choice.

7. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    I am actually thinking about getting just two lenses and getting her a body only and we can just swap out. But we will probably get one pancake lense and one longer zoom and still get her a kit.

8. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    Well... I tried to put it delicately in my first post, but sometimes she needs "help" with technology. :wink: I don't really relish learning two cameras. So this way I can learn mine and if she has a question about her's I can just say, "Here's how you do that, honey." That's not to say that she won't show me some stuff too.

9. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    We bought new laptops recently. I bought an Acer and I got her an HP. I can kick myself for not buying her one just like mine.

If I bought her the E-PL2, she would be wanting the touch screen on my G2,a nd if I gave it to her, I would be missing the viewfinder.

So the same camera is probably for the best.

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A picture says a thousand words (or one:smile:)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5633933827/" title="welcome by iconindustries, on Flickr">"600" height="326" alt="welcome"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  11. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Understood. The cool thing is having a shared hobby with your spouse. I'm envious.

12. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    It's funny we were both married for about 18 years to the wrong people. We both got dovorced, found each other and now we are best friends [With benefits :biggrin:]

Funny thing... We both get along with our ex-spouses great. Her ex-husband always gives me a big bear hug when ever I see him. :smile: It's weird, but it could be worse I guess...

Mrs. Irishdude and I both enjoy, Blues, Jazz, dumpy bars and local hangouts, sailing, riding motorcycles, people watching, architecture and photography. We usually combine photography with one or more of the above.

It is one of the reasons while we are looking to upgrade cameras, but lookiing for a relatively small kit.

Thanks for everyone's confirmation so far.

13. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  14. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

That IS a good deal! If I had come across an offer like that a few months back, I would have grabbed it in a second. Welcome to the M43 world!

15. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    welcome,

But depending weather m4/3 and which model is the better fit, really comes down to what you like to shoot. If you like to take actions stuff, a dslr is the better option. If yo like to take long exposures longer then 8sec, the much larger sensor of an aps-c sensor has way better dynamic range and handle the longer exposure better. And they do handle low light shoot better, at 3200 iso and tops out at 6400 iso.

If you are a creative photo editor, and shot in RAW. Both panny and oly are the same. If you are a jpeg shooting, oly has the best jpeg engine on the market.

The panny is the better value as it has the built in evf, vs having to spend 250 more for the option. But the oly VF2 one of the best in class on the market.

If you shoot in low light allot and do not want to use a big flash, the olympus does preform better as it has better high iso performance shoot well to 1600 and going upto 2000. The panny is a more comfortable camera to shoot with when using a external flash, since it has a much better define grip then the pen.

There is couple of things you might want to look at in you photo library to see if it is the right system for you.

16. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    You will love this format. I have a G1, which I imagine is very similar but without video. I also have a GF1, but if I had to choose, it would be the G1 because of the great viewfinder and all the other features. These are beautifully made cameras with a lot of thought having gone into them.

Like you, I am an old Nikon SLR user and recently sold all my lenses and beloved FM-2. Can't wait to here how you like the little gem you have ordered. Welcome to the group!

17. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Very tempting offer. We have a G1 and GH1 so my wife and I can do what you suggest, their controls are about the same other than a movie mode. I would prefer the G2 controls, they are more similar to my k-x.. but would wreck the 'plan'!

18. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    Thread Update...

I thought I would post an update on this thread. In my zest for carefully researching which camera to buy, I neglected to carefully research the vendor. After waiting about 2 days and not hearing anything from the vendor, I did a little research, which I should have done earlier. I found that this vendor has some pretty bad reviews, so I cancelled my card that I had ordered with before they had the chance to authorize anything on it.

Flash forward to now... Unfortunatly, there are no Panasonic dealers in Birmingham, Al. We are not exactly a small town, so I was amazed that I could not find anywhere to at least try out the camera or even hold on in my hands. I did however find a dealer of Olympus cameras and was able to try out the E-PL1 and E-PL2. I ended up going with the E-PL1. It should be here this week. The best deal I could find on the E-PL2 was about $525, and I picked up the E-PL1 for $356 with free shipping, and since I have to buy two it was the better way to go. I know there are some trade-offs in buying the E-PL1 instead of the E-PL2, but it will be a huge step up from our little Nikon CoolPix Point and shoot cameras.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sorry to hear about the G2 deal going sour, but there's lots to like about the E-PL1, as quite a few of our members can attest.

20. irishdude

irishdude Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    For some reason that I can't explain, when you pick up a camera with a removeable lens on it you naturally want to put it up to your eye. Every time I picked up the Olympus in the store, I tried to put it up to my eye and then I had to remind myself that it doesn't have a view finder. :rolleyes: