1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Grips for E-M5ii...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mikefellh, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The new E-M5ii (again) requires a new grip. Why can't they produce a camera that uses the accessories that already exist?

Starting with the E-300, the E-330 could have easily used the E-300's grip because they are exactly matched in size and shape, but the E-330 was designed without a grip option.

Then I had to get another grip for the E-3...OK the E-3 was a much bigger camera and had more functions in the grip, but still a PITA!

Can understand having to get one for the E-M5, but why couldn't they design it so you could use the portrait grip without the landscape grip.

Then they had to redesign the E-M1 so it couldn't use the E-M5 grip.

And now again with the second version of the E-M5 you again have to get a new grip:

http://photorumors.com/2015/01/17/n...-6p-and-hld-8g-grips-plus-a-new-fl-lm3-flash/

2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Yeah, not cool Olympus... i can even understand the normal grip (due to Mark 2 having a bit different shape), but it requiring new battery grip is not gonna get them any fans...

3. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    The new grip is strange (to be polite). It looks too small for the camera.

4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Let alone requiring a new battery for an incremental upgrade.

5. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    because olympus is not a charity

• Like Like x 3
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The battery holder with portrait grip, HLD-6, is the same one for the current E-M5 so there will a portrait mode if you use the battery holder. I think that the grip looks fine, I like the taper at the base. Unless the E-M5 mk II uses the same chassis as the mk I why would you assume that the old grip would fit?

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Where did you see the part about there being (another) new battery?

8. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Maybe with the new super-dooper 8 pics in one feature or whatever you won't need a special grip. I hope you don't need a new battery.

9. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Kind of reminds me of the original motor drives for the OM system.

10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Please don't remind them of that, they charge extra for retro styling.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Are you sure? Time will tell, I guess. I was very pleased to see that the E-M1 used the same battery as the E-M5. The fact that the E-M10 didn't was a big minus when I was looking at a second Oly m43 body.

12. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    How many Canon or Nikon bodies use the same grips? I would bet very few if any.

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It actually makes the camera wider as it hangs out the side much more than the original, but it does give more room for the fingers which would be better with the new larger lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ross the fiddler

If there was any battery change it would be compatible but maybe a higher capacity like the BLS 5 & 50.

15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    This title of this thread should be New Gripes for the E-M5ii...

• Like Like x 3
  16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol....

Tough crowd Olympus has to deal with.

I don't recall any of the other big brands maintaining backwards compatibility of grips between older and newer cameras. Just like anything else, backward compatibility does introduce design constraints.

17. usayit

I found this strange too....

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Unless I'm missing something (quite possible), battery size/spec is firmly in the category of "rumor" rather than fact for now. In any case, this camera is not something I'm planning to pre-order. I may or may not buy one eventually, but with the new sensor tech I really want to avoid being an unpaid beta tester. Not a gripe - just caution.

19. usayit

I was actually thinking it was strange that the EM10 doesn't share the same battery as the EM5 and EM1 considering its slotted very closely to those two.

20. Ross the fiddler

Maybe strange except the E-M10 is aligned with the entry level models (lower PENs etc) & therefore is powered the same, where as the E-M1 & 5 plus E-P5 are higher level models that share the same battery.