New grip for Olympus Pen epl-3 or epm-1

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Bojan, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Bojan

Bojan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011

Here is new grip for Olympus Pen epl-3 and epm-1. More on grips for mirrorless cameras
    or watch video [ame=]grip for Olympus Pen epl-3 or Pen epm-1 - YouTube[/ame]

Best regards
  2. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    As posted on DPReview, rip off of the Franiec grip. Even a majority of the description and instructions are copied.
  3. theworstphotographer

theworstphotographer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    that grip has absolutely nothing in common with the franiec grip.
  4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I don't think the Franiec grip has anything to worry about here, haha. These aren't the grips we're looking for, move along, move along.

It looks like a giant piece of bubble gum is stuck on the camera, right around where the grip should b....ohhhh I get it.
  5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Excellent advertisement for Franiec Bojan.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Personally, for me, I'd actually prefer a chunkier grip like this for one of these cameras. It just doesn't look very nice.
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Its a direct ripoff of some of Richard's language, but the grip is completely different. The guy should put his mounting instructions in his own words and move on. The grip looks like it will work very well for some people, assuming it actually works with the wider lenses.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    This, but he chose to fight about it instead on DPR. Hopefully he'll think better of it.
    I'm curious about that myself. The Flipbac grip jammed my hand into the 45-200 the first time I had it on there, and I needed to push it out to the edge as far as possible in order to use that lens comfortably. This grip looks substantially wider. It's taller too, which might help create space for the hand though.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Wait, is that one of the gel strips from of those cushioned mouse pads?
  10. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I tried a flipbac and Richard's grip and, yeah, the flipbac mounts so far inboard that it can cause problems unless you're careful. I've used Richard's grip with the 100-300 without problem and it makes the camera far easier to handle for me. This one might be even more grip and more comfortable IF it clears the big lenses. It's a lot uglier and looks less a part of the camera, but if it feels good enough, I could get past that.

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

- Eliot
  12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I don't understand why anyone would buy a small and beautiful camera and then ruin it with this... thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    A. I don't find the EPL3 particularly beautiful - the EP3 maybe, the X100 maybe, but the EPL3 is a pretty basic looking little box. To me.

B. If the ugly grip improves the handling of the camera enough, the ugly is a small price to pay. If it doesn't, then there's no point in going with the grip, but even if looks matter, they don't matter AS MUCH as function. Again, TO ME.

YMMV, but I don't find it to be difficult to understand.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Honestly, this is where the E-P3 excels. Interchangeable grips. I wish all cameras could do that. I can buy a 400 dollar pistol and I can exchange out the grips.
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A couple positive comments:
    1. The OP asked my permission to post about his grips before posting. That is appreciated.
    2. I'm always happy to see people developing options and accessories for our system. It makes our system richer. That's why I blog things like the Wanderlust Pinwide, and the Franiec grip. Even if you don't like this particular accessory, the next accessory from these folks could be something you find very useful.

Just my two cents.
  16. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Agree completely. I've seen so much discussion on this forum dedicated to prettying up the camera. These are tools, not fashion statements. Yet there are threads devoted to things like "which color camera should I buy?" or "which handstrap makes my camera look the coolest?" If I wanted jewelry, I'd just hang a cordless drill around my neck. Otherwise, I'll buy add-ons for my camera that make it handle or perform better, instead of accessorizing it like a Barbie doll.
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    The grip does look fairly gripable! But it does look odd.

I didn't find the Flipbac to be as troublesome as far as getting my fingers pushed against the lens. I installed it closer to the edge of the camera. What I had trouble with is that all three styles of Flipbacs are too thin.

I have no beef against the OP plagiarizing some words. There's only so many ways people can say the same thing.

While this grip is not my cup of tea, I think it's great that there are more options out there. Choice is good for consumers.

As to beauty, I certainly care about the aesthetics of my camera, or anything else I use. The utility of the thingamajig might be the most important factor, but aesthetics can only help. In my opinion.
  18. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm guessing English is not his first language, and he might not have the skills to express what he wants to convey any better than the words he copied. That doesn't make it right, but it is understandable.

How many here would feel confident enough to make an instructional video in Albanian, Somalian or Swahili (just to pick a few)? :smile:
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree. If he had copied the grip design, that would be a big problem. This, not so much.
  20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This looks like a nice substantial grip. I think it's a good thing for the market. I would like to see the top part remodeled though, as that flat plateau is the only thing I find unattractive about it.