New GH5 user-V-Log

ashelton96

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello all. Current G7 owner. I recently purchased a GH5 which I’m excited to tool around with. I understand the v-log upgrade is usually $100 but does it ever go on sale? I want to add it to the GH5 but not in a rush to shell out another $100.

Thanks!

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
What are you using for video editing, and have you used Vlog on other systems in the past? And are you recording externally or to card?

But no, never seen it on sale. Only time there was an event that was considered a sale was when they were selling the GH4 with the vLog activation included for the same price of just the GH4.

Also it's stupidly flat (peaking and zebra can be extremely difficult to see with how flat it gets), I don't know about on the GH5 (because it can do 10-bit recording internally), but on the GH4 it's not a good idea (no real benefit in 8-bit recording over Cine-D with adjusted settings).

Check out the GH5 firmware upgrade recently published!
VLog is not going to be added into a firmware upgrade without paying extra for it.

ashelton96

Mu-43 Rookie
Thank you all for your feedback. I usually use FCPX but occasionally use Premiere. I was helping on a project awhile back that was filmed on a GH4 and it was filmed in v-log so I got some experience with it although its not a necessity for me at this time. Just curious if it ever goes on sale because I wouldn’t mind grabbing it if it was a little cheaper.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Thank you all for your feedback. I usually use FCPX but occasionally use Premiere. I was helping on a project awhile back that was filmed on a GH4 and it was filmed in v-log so I got some experience with it although its not a necessity for me at this time. Just curious if it ever goes on sale because I wouldn’t mind grabbing it if it was a little cheaper.
Give Cine-D a try, with something like -3 contrast, -2 sharp and what not.

At 10-bit recording you'll get more lattitude out of it than the GH4 w/ vLog (which actually lost quality to vlog due to banding and only 8-bit)

ashelton96

Mu-43 Rookie
Give Cine-D a try, with something like -3 contrast, -2 sharp and what not.

At 10-bit recording you'll get more lattitude out of it than the GH4 w/ vLog (which actually lost quality to vlog due to banding and only 8-bit)
Will do! Thanks!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom