1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New GH5 rumours

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by DanS, Aug 26, 2016.

1. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Whoa, no-crop 4K is great (I kind of expected it by this point though). 4:2:2 10-bit internal is damn good as well.

Additionally, I'll say that I'd be surprised if it didn't have IBIS, simply because the GX80/85 has IBIS during 4K. The only concern is that can they dissipate enough heat to do 60p 4K AND IBIS, or will it be a "one or the other" type situation? I think if they did have to choose, they'd go with 60p 4K simply because it's such a differentiator to other cameras on the market. I believe that the only other "consumer" camera to have that is Canon's 1DX Mk.II. 60p 4K footage slowed down looks sooooo good.

3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Depending on the 422 codec, it might be less intensive than the old 420 h.264, and actually allow for IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Oky got a lot of props for ibis in video despite bland video capability overall.

The video world would go crazy for a gh5 with ibis, dual ibis and OIS capability and better low light.

5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    No crop could be a double edge sword. If they can do it by high quality algorithm downsizing then great, otherwise you could end up with unwanted aliasing.

6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Higher MP sensor maybe?

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think everyone is taking it for granted that the GH5 will have the GX85's IBIS. I hope that's true, but we haven't actually heard any rumours to suggest that it is.

I hope it's not going to be a big disappointment if / when it's announced without IBIS.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I agree, they didn't put it in the GH4 even though the GX7 has it, and since the GH cameras focus so intensely on video tech there's a possibility they won't add the weight/heat output of ibis and sacrifice heatsink performance. Hopefully they can get everything in there!

9. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The GH4 came out 6 months after the GX7, so the GH4 might have been too far down it's development path to incorporate IBIS. However it's now 3 years later, so they have no excuses.

Imo, IBIS & dual IS are mandatory for the new flagship model, anything less would be a flop/unacceptable.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Which could make it even worse. The whole point of doing the 4K crop was that it was a 1 to 1 pixel ratio. Once you start doing 1.2 or 1.5 sensor pixels per 4K pixels then 'something' has to down scale it, just like previous sensors had to down scale to 1080p because there are more sensor pixels than the output needs.

Once you add down scaling then you need to be careful 'how' that is done or you could introduce unwanted side effects. I just hope Panasonic did it right.

11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    This is Panasonic's video golden-child. I'm pretty sure that it'll perform better than the GH4 in every measurable way: Low-light, AF speed/accuracy, moire, aliasing. There's no way Panasonic would take a step backwards after seeing how big of a success the GH4 was.

As for IBIS, yes it will be interesting to see what happens. I honestly could see it going either way. They could put it in and deliver simply unbelievable video, or it may be omitted because maybe they couldn't get it work from a thermal perspective when shooting 4K 60fps (assuming it'll have that). If they include, then wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, it'll be a video block buster. If they don't include it, but greatly improve the video quality, then they'll have a more well-defined "video" camera (GH series) and "stills" camera (GX series).

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Not really, the GX7 had it's development path too and there's no reason the tech wouldn't have been shared if they'd wanted to.

13. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The GX80/85 can already shoot 4k 30p using IBIS or Dual IS, so the GH5 should be capable of it as well. If it can do 4k 60p they could probably get away with disabling IBIS in that mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX7 was also Panasonic's first implementation of IBIS, though, and isn't as effective as the competition. They may not have deemed it sufficiently advanced at that point, and the GX8's IBIS is only a bit better. By contrast, the leap in IBIS quality between the GX8 and GX85 is quite significant, so they obviously learned quickly.

I am cautiously optimistic that the GH5 will have IBIS, if only so that the GX85 doesn't cannibalize future sales of that camera, as it seems to be doing of the GX8 right now. But nothing is certain.

Sadly, that's probably not the case. IBIS doesn't generate appreciable heat on its own, but by requiring the whole sensor assembly to be on a movable platter connected to incredibly precise magnets and sensors limits how heavy that assembly can be in order to maintain effective IBIS. Thermal mass and lots of conductive metal is a good thing for heat dissipation, but a bad thing for IBIS precision, so the two requirements are somewhat fundamentally fighting each other.

If thermals from the sensor readout are a big problem, we'd probably be getting IBIS or 4K/60p, not both. But hopefully the main thermal challenge is in the processing side of things, which would not be on the suspended IBIS platter.

15. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I said might, because no one outside of Panasonic really knows how the development paths played out. I work in a ~600 person company, and on a few occasions we've had multiple development groups working on the same problem, and they where completely unaware of what the others were doing.

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If there's one thing that Panasonic has done consistently well with since the GH1 it's managing heat. Where other cameras heat up and eventually overheat, Panasonic cameras just keep going. I've shot 60+ minutes with the GH2 and the GX85 has baked in the hot Nevada sun shooting 4k stabilized video without batting an eye.

I'd be surprised if the GH5 doesn't have image stabilization.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm well aware of that, but what I was referencing would be a scenario where Panasonic may have only been able to get IBIS to work with 4K 30p, and not 4K 60p, so would they ditch IBIS to go with 4K 30p, or ditch IBIS and go 4K 60p, making it the first consumer-oriented camera to do so (much like how the GH4 was the first to bring 4K 30p to consumers).

It's all speculation at this point. Maybe Panasonic can do 4K 60p AND IBIS, in which case it would just rain on everybody's parade. 4K 60p, IBIS, 4:2:2 to-bit, with Canon L glass on a SpeedBooster Ultra? Isn't that the definition of a videographer's dream short of shooting with a RED?

18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    That plus in body focus stacking and I would be a happy man! :D

• Sad Sad x 1
  19. Schwingi

Schwingi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Austria
    4k @ 60p would be awesome! Another main request from me would be a similar battery life to the GH4.

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But remember that the GX7 IBIS didn't (and doesn't) work for video. It is only for stills shooting. So stabilized video would not have happened on the GH4 either way. And the GX7 does not have the video quality of the GH4, so something was compromised.