1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New GH3 spec sheet rumor from 43rumors

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by speltrong, Apr 24, 2012.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Reduction of mps to 15. Weathersealed. 3.2" LCD. Better EVF. Double SD card slots.

Sounds pretty good to me. I assume that if true, the reduction in mps will result in even better sensor performance.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    A multi-aspect ratio sensor with slightly bigger pixels. Sounds like it could be pretty good for low-light!

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I don't buy most of it. The drop in sensor res is the first part which I find blatantly implausible. The battery life is unlikely, especially in a smaller body. Native ISO 12800 sounds like BS. IPS type multi-touch LCD? Double card slots? Magnesium sealed body? We're talking about a $1500-$2000 camera, and a $3000 X kit. All attached to a lower MP sensor.

These specs don't make sense. At a stretch, I could see it as possible if the GH3 and 2 were going to be in production side by side with the 3 being a higher end model. But not with that sensor spec.

5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Built in gps ! Great , how handy. :rofl:

6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    There is nothing that says its a IPS type, just that it's touch capacitive.

The D7k has dual card slots, magnesium body and sells for 1200.

The Pentax K5 has a sealed body and sells for about the same price.

I expect the Gh3 to sell a bit higher than the em5, so 1200 body only, the Nikon 17-55 2.8 sells for 1400 so about 1400 for X lens, I'd expect the combo to sell kitted for $2200.

Everything seems plausible except tilt only screen. GH series were video focused, and it would be surprising if it didn't have a articulating.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    From the post:

8. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Thanks, I missed that.

I still think it's plausible but at the same time I'm not sure how likely it is though.

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Most on the spec-list seems plausible, which makes me think it's more of a wishlist really.

The lower Mp count may be attributed to another rumor about "bigger pixels" on the new Panasonic sensor; don't know.

Price wise I'm sure they can make a magnesium weather sealed body with dual card slots, etc for less than 1200 dollars/euro, street price.

I personally would like to see the GH line (and, in fact, all of Panasonic's m43s) move away from the DSLR aesthetics. Sorry but I don't like how the GH tries to look like a mini-DSLR. This is a matter of taste, naturally, but just a look at the OM-D and you can see which is the coolest camera.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FT2 (the 'rating' given by the site to the rumor) is pretty low.

I'd really expect them to up the ante on video features though. Uncompressed video output via HDMI (like the D800) or even 4k video.

Weather-sealing also seems likely, given the weather-sealing on the upcoming X zoom lenses. A metal body would make sense in that case.

I hope they price it well, but I guess we should see soon enough!

DH

11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

You don't like the GH series because it looks like a modern SLR
    You do like the OM-D series because it looks like a old SLR.

Interesting... I suspect it's more about retro styling vs modern styling rather than being a mini SLR though :wink:

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Guilty! I love the OM-D because it looks like my OM-40. :biggrin:

But, in all fairness, it's a more pleasant looking. And I do believe Panasonic wanted to make the GH look like a modern DSLR (more "serious looking" to the prosumer eye).

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've never, ever thought of Panasonic as stylish, that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I like the looks of the GF1 and GX1. I don't like the GF3. All the others are fairly neutral. I am really glad they didn't go retro though - that's lame. Enough already, hipsters... enough.

15. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    They did it once already, the Panasonic L1 was a retro camera complete with aperture dial.

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    +1

17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It's not a bad idea, enables your pictures to be geo tagged, great if you are travelling as you can identify exactly where each one was taken, combine it with LR4 mapping facility or even Goggle maps and it could be very useful.

Paul

18. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    GPS is a bit of a gimmick, as it tends to be a total battery hog, and I know I rather have battery to shoot than a geotag.