New GF1 owner

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jake, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    After lots of reading,comparing and seeking advice i finally ordered a red GF-1 with 20mm 1.7f lens.
    I have picked it up after the £50 cashback for a total of £570!
    The lens itself would cost me £300 so i have basically got a GF-1 body for £270!
    I think the things that swayed it for me where.......fast AF,High res Screen,
    and the look,feel and menu system.
    If Olympsus release a newer model in the future with a better screen and faster AF i can always sell the body for not much of a loss.
    I hope it turns up tomorrow!
    Thankyou everyone on the forum who has contributed to my advice threads.
    Hope to become more active on the forum and post some pics once my camera turns up.:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Good for you, Jake and we'll look forward to hearing and seeing more from you soon.:drinks:

3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Excellent man. When i bought mine i was so amazed at the clarity of the screen. I then picked up my old Sony and was comparing the the 12x zoom with the Panasonic 45-200 and i kept rubbing my eyes to make sure i was seeing the screen correctly. I don't know how i used the screen on the Sony now!

The other really ingenious thing i love about my GF1 is the awesome little door on the side that covers the electrical jacks.

PS. Just recently I heard that there was a Firmware update to for the Panasonic Lenses. So you can check to see what your Lens firmware is and you can easliy upgrade it. I did on mine and the autofocus is even quicker, even the autofocus when taking video is barely noticeable.
    My 45-200 is now version 1.2
    20mm 1.1

My body is version 1.1. I'm pretty sure your body would be right.

I think there is instructions somewhere in this forum in how to upgrade your lenses. If you cant find them. Let me know and i can explain how i did it.

CU

iconindustries

BTW. 12x optical zoom is the equivalent as the 45-200mm on a GF1 body.
    Also man, that 20mm is amazing.

5. Carlarm

Carlarm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    The 20mm f1.7 is a fantastic lens. You'll be very happy with it. It's razor sharp even wide open and has more depth of field at wide apertures than you might expect. The f1.7 aperture makes the live view display more usable in available light situations.

6. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    Its arrived at my Mothers!
    Can't wait for work to finish so i can pick it up..................hehe
    Just think, if i get this excited about a camera what will i be like when our Son is born!:biggrin:

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Jake...get ready...get lots of sleep now, go out for dinner now...and save your money after this new buy, too.:biggrin:

We'll be expecting at least a photo or two once the battery is charged.
    .:thumbup:

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Congrats on the new toy! The GF1 is great.

9. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    congrats on your new cam. You will enjoy it

10. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Jake ! Congrats on your new great little camera, I'm sure you will love it.

11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice to meet you...

Have fun with your GF1. I still love and enjoy my other camera, but my GF1 is fun, and especially with the 20 it just wants to be used and played with.