New GF1 owner

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brents, Mar 10, 2011.

1. brents

brents Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2011
    Hi all,

I've had a few posts elsewhere but thought i would say a quick hello now that i'm the proud owner of a GF1!

Currently i've only get the 14-45mm lens but i'm hoping to splash out on the 20mm soon due to some of the amazing pictures you guys have produced with it in the GF1 picture thread.

Anywho, I'm sure i will be posting again soon for some tips on settings etc.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Hi brents and welcome, the GF1 is a superb little beastie.
    I have to point out to you, if you get the 20mm F1.7 you will not want to go back to the standard zoom (good though it is) the 20mm is a real gem.
  3. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Don't know where this one came from but will answer anyway.
    1/ hyperfocal distance focusing - Quite simply you can't(acurately). Most digital camera lenses do not have distance scales or aperture markings that let you set HD, so it becomes something of a hit and miss affair.
    You can use the appropriate DOF scales I can give you an example with the GF1 and the 20mm.
    @ f4 the hyperfocal distance is 6.67 m (20ft) so you will need to focus on something 20ft away, the near limit will be 3m aprox and far limit will be infinity.
    @ F6.8 HD is 4m aprox - 2 m to infinity
    @ f8 HD is 3m - 1.67m to infinity.
    trying to use the LCD is next to useless, but then it wasn't any good trying to rely on a 35mm fiewfinder either.
    MF assist is just that, why should it help checking DOF???

Just in case here are the safe "c" settings. ?????
    I presume you have 'hacked' into the firmware - from what I have read, it isn't worth it anyway!

I don't think they have made a camera yet that does everything and satisfies everybody...........
  4. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    How did you get on this post? Just curious.