New GF1 owner..yay

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Peezie, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Hello everyone, i just recently bought my GF1 this past sunday and i love the damn thing! :smile:

I am coming from having a Canon 7D + Lenses and a sony HX5V P&S.

I was not happy with the sony and its IQ but the video was superb on it. But i value pictures more than video anyway. And my 7D even without its battery grip and 24-70 is just way to big for everyday purpose.

Before i decided on the 20mm kit w/ my GF1 I strictly shot on 24mm focal length for a week whick is the closest focal length my 20mm pancake is. Until now after one week i dont regret any of it. I thought i might but sunk the money on it anyway. F1.7 how can you beat it?

Anyways i also bought the SGP skin for it as i have read it improves the grip on it a bit. It should be here next week from ebay.

I did have one question though... Has anyone used any canon EF lenses on the GF1 yet? If so which brand adaptor do you have/do you recomend it?

Also I have seen alot of people use the manual focus lenses is this because its cheaper?

Will my nifty fifty 1.8 be able to AF or is it only manual since im using an adaptor for it? The cheepo lens isnt the greatest for manual forcus either.

I know its alot of questions...sorry.

Any help and recomendations would be great.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Not only can you not AF, you will lose aperture control since it will be stuck wide open. You can, however, buy something with AF confirm.

I will say my cheap ebay one from roxen does not work well, it feels I'll shave the metal if I force the adapter on.

Also, congrats, it's an awesome combo, love mine.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I wouldn't recommend using EF lenses on m4/3. Save them for your 7D...
  4. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi Peezie:

I have a Fotasy EOS - m4/3 Canon adapter, which I think I purchased from Rainbow Imaging on eBay. Linh is quite right, you'll have no control over aperture, so all your exposures will be at the lens' maximum. AF is not possible, so you'll need lenses at have manual focus capability. Here's a photo of my E-P1 with the Canon 100-400mm zoom.

Here's an example of a shot taken with the lens.

5. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    I thought i read that somewhere about the AF. i guess i was right after all. Thanks for the confirmation. On the other hand... no aperture control that's interesting.i Might have to try it just to experience it.

@lucky penguin... i was interested in slapping on the 50mm since i could keep it compact and small, your probably right about just using it on my 7D.

@walt tbay... wow that lens is huge on the body lol, very interesting either way. and that sample looks great.

Ill just look out for a decent MF 50mm prime i guess w, an adaptor. What 50mm would only cost me about $50 CAN or US, is this even possible? i guess i should go to my camera shop tomorrow and check some out.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a bunch of EF/EFS lenses myself, and I figure I can use either use them on my Canon DSLRs with full electronic control on what is a technically superior camera or...use them on my E-P1 with loss of aperture control, lens-based IS, and autofocus.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
  7. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Congratulations. You have a great camera and I know you will get many hours of joy from it. Welcome to the club.
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the board,

I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful and talented folks here.

I look forward to seeing some of your work..

Why don't you stop by here while your on the board, it'd make a nice first post too.

Cheers from New England. Alan
  9. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome greetings guys...

I have been taking it everyday everywhere me like its my

@alanroseman - i will definitely post my pic in the wrong side of the lens
  10. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    The GF1 with the 20mm is a wonderful combination - a great walk about lens. I have since gotten the 14 and the 45. They are all terrific. Took this shot this morning with the GF1 and 45mm.

The GF1 is a "love at first sight" camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    The GF1 was a love at first site... more than my canon 7D.

The only real down fall that i do see which is minor before i even mention it, is the grip on to it. my hand is a little more moist than the average person so it tends to just slide a little. On the other hand im hoping that the SGP skin for it will solve that.

In fact, i love it so much i want a second one with a 50mm prime on it all the time for some reach. finally i can share that crazy thought with someone else other than my fiance who clearly doesnt just thoughts just thoughts