New GF series camera coming in June

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 19, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    43rumours is predicting (99.9%) that a new GF camera is coming in June along with the 25mm 1.4 Leica lens. They say that GF1 production has stopped and GF2 pricing is being restructured for the new model. If this is true it looks like the GF (3?) will finally be the true successor to the GF1.

more info at

• Like Like x 1
  2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    If you look at where they are headed you're more likely to see a successor to the GF2, not the GF1.

I know a lot of people would love to see a Panny version of the X100, I don't think that's going to happen. I would not be at all surprised if the GF3 is basically a G3 without the EVF.

I'm 10x more excited for the upcoming lenses.
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yep, let's start building up the anticipation of this announcement like we did the GF2, so everyone will be disappointed again.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    The link is wrong.. its an American site! :biggrin:
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The correct site is 43 Rumors without the second 'u'.

Blame Gordon's aussie spelling. :thumbup:
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ah, yes. Hence the incorrect spelling of the correct web address :smile:
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Think how much paper would be saved if all those superfluous "u's" were eliminated...that might stem global climate change!! :biggrin:
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Don't forget favourite, colour, ...
  9. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Does seem very soon after the GF2 and apparently that camera is selling well. Plus with the G3 about to hit the shops at the same time as this announcement, if true then its an unconventional marketing ploy from Panasonic.

I'm a little skeptical.
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Fixed, thanks
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    You may be right. But if it's true, then it kind of makes me think this new camera will be unique - and hopefully a replacement for the GF1. And what do we think all of this means for the GH2? It, too, has not been out long and has been difficult to find. Granted, the new sensor in the G3 is not multi-aspect in nature but perhaps new technology would be applied to a GH-type sensor. Competition is fierce and getting stronger.

When one considers all of the many DSLRS most of the major camera companies produce these days, there would be nothing wrong with a four-camera micro four-thirds lineup from Panasonic: GH and a rangefinder-type for enthusiasts... and a simplified G and GF for everyone else. Most of the internal technology would be shared and it would really be mostly a matter of external control differences.
  12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    I love to think it was true. An update to the GF1 with the new G3 sensor would suit me very well. I still have my GF1, and prefer it to the GF2. I guess I'm really hoping they will come up with an interchangeable lens Fuji X100 and I've still got hopes for their "anniversary" model in the autumn which might be something special.

It just seems "wrong" because of the timing, but who knows.