NEW gear...

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dixeyk, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I was looking at the new Olympus bodies and they look really nice. I'm not particularly interested in them as I'm pretty happy with my current m43 bodies (E-P1 and G2). I was however struck at the pricing of the new Olympus and Panasonic cameras (and new digital cameras in general).

The E-P3 for instance is around $900 and to me that seems a bit spendy but I can see where they are placing it as a product. It's a premium product and as I recall the E-P1 was something close to that at launch. That said, I look at my E-P1 (now a dinosaur) and think that for the $200 I paid for it (actually it was a trade) and with the Panasonic 20 or 14 attached it still tops out at $500 and IMHO it is still a terrific bargain camera wise. The IQ is good (REALLY good sometimes) and if set up properly is reasonably peppy. It doesn't have all the cool new features but so far I am not finding myself cursing the heavens because I missed a picture because of some fatal flaw in my camera(s). In fact, I'm not at all clear if ANY of the new features would really make a darned bit of difference to me day to day. They may but at the moment I am at a loss to think of one that would.

For a guy like me though the introduction of new cameras is a godsend. It's great because soon there will be a bunch of really nice low mileage gear hitting the forums at really good prices and if I am patient the prices only get better. So...I say if you are jonesing for that new gear BE MY GUEST. You NEED it and it NEEDS you. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LIVE WITHOUT IT!!! Just remember to list the old stuff here first.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA

Well said! I tend to "bottom feed" off the early adopters, myself, whether in photo gear (nice refurbed E-P1, slightly used E-PL1 and VF-2, 17mm + VF1), cars or computers. Amazing how many folks "trade up" so quickly; it's great for the economy, and great for folks like us! :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    that is a definitely a good attitude and outlook to have regarding electronics, since the product cycle is as short as a gestation period for a mouse.

i have never bought anything related to photography that wasn't second hand really, i'm actually trying really hard to think of one thing....maybe the sd card?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Most of my equipment falls under the headings of "used", "refurbished", or "soon to be discontinued". I figure at the worst I'm as happy as people were a few years ago.:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    I'll wait one year and take a G3 "body only". I'd rather spend my money with lenses than bodies.
  6. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I try to buy used too when sometimes better options get the best of me. I am waiting for e-p2 to get in $200 something range. I have the VF-2 so i dont want to get e-p1.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry, no can do. I need that old gear for backup when my new gear breaks down or wears out.
  8. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Amen to that!
  9. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    make sure not to leave those of us out that..

buy gear at the most opportune time, then flip it for a profit to buy another piece of gear at the most opportune time.. rinse repeat. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'll be looking for a Fuji X100 for around $700 in a year.
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Funny man...:)
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Are you keeping track of the score re: Dixeyk vs Gear? :smile:

13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    ???? How so? The performance of the E-P1 is still very good. New releases have not really improved on it. All improvements have been fairly insignificant.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I meant that in jest...I have made several posts recently making that exact point.
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well... I haven't gotten any new gear...okay maybe that 14/2.5 and the 45-200 but surely I get some points because those were not purchases but trades. More of a sort of recycling than actual acquisition. :)
    • Like Like x 1