New Gallery, Old Albums, and our Groups

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Those of you who have been here since the beginning know that we have a built-in album functionality which is integrated with the forum software and a separate Gallery which is not integrated.

Just over a month ago, when I installed the new Gallery functionality, I asked everyone to stop using the old albums and switch to the new Gallery in anticipation of our disabling the old system altogether.

Those who are new to the site may have noticed that some members had image albums displayed in their profiles. Those albums were the old system. Likewise, a couple of our Groups had their own image pools. Those too relied on the old album system.

The time has come to shut down the old system and commit to the new Gallery. It's too confusing having two different gallery systems. Shutting down the old system has the following unfortunate consequences:

• Images hosted in the old albums will no longer show where embedded in threads. These links will be broken.
    • The Groups will no longer have image "pools". Images can be shared in the Group discussion threads, but there won't be a main collection of images for each group any longer.
    I'm sorry to everyone who is losing their picture comments and uploads through this process. It is a growing pain for our young site that will help the site prosper in the long run.

If you have any specific concern related to this transition, feel free to email or PM me. I can temporarily re-enable the old system to retrieve an image or comment.

2. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Of course, I missed the original post, and, like a fool, I spent last weekend uploading images to my albums!!!

I don't suppose there is any way to migrate the albums to the galleries automatically?

3. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Damn, I'm really sorry about that. I knew that there would be some folks who did that, but the longer I leave the old system in place, the more members will upload to it :frown:.

There isn't a way to automatically migrate. Much to the disappointment of my wife, I spent the better part of four days trying to make that happen, and I was unable to do it. I'm really sorry I can't help with that. If you uploaded anything and didn't keep a copy of it (hopefully no one would do that!) let me know, and I will retrieve it for you.

One good thing about the new Gallery system is that you can upload a zip file containing many images, so it should be easier for you to upload than with the old system. I realize that is no comfort given that you spent last weekend uploading, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Again, I apologize for this to everyone affected in this way!

4. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Thanks for the reply. It really is no problem, though. I have copies of everything here and you are right about killing it now before anyone else makes the mistake.

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Amin

presumably you still have to put an image in two places, if you want to get it into two albums

i.e. a Quest and a Personal Album
    or a Personal Album and a Specific Camera Album

did there not used to be an option to tag an image to two places

Cheers

6. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Amin,

I do not know if you intend to do this before the end of the week, but I would assume that many of the pictures in the B&W contest were posted as a link to albums, since the new gallery functionality was not available at the beginning of February. You may want to delay the move until after voting is finished.

Regards,

Antonio

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    its a shame , i really didnt know that i was not uploading to the new gallery what about the links in the threads showing pics etc , i was under the impression that the old gallery
    wasnt allowing new uploads

so to upload A PIC WHERE exactly do i go to do that?

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    iks it possible for users to migrate their upload before the "old" gallery is killed where is the new gallery....... could they be renamed old gallery \new gallery to avoid confusion and help facilitate image transfers?

9. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good point, I will re-activate the old albums until the end of the voting period!

10. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Cosina, you have been uploading to the correct (new) gallery, and those uploads will not be affected. Anyone whose images are uploaded through the system on our Gallery tab at the top of this page will not be affected. The old album system is hidden, but some people have been using it.

Unfortunately, there is no way to migrate the images. They have to be re-uploaded to the new system. Most of our members have already done this, and very few have continued to upload to the old system.