New G9 firmware (2.4) - AF improvement in all AF modes?

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
To be honest, don't get a G9 if you want solid BIF performance. It's just so far behind the competition, even with the new firmware. Put similar money into an E-M1 II, it really is so much better for BIF.
I don't do BIF, so forgive my ignorance, but why do you say the mk ii is so much better than the G9 for this use case? I tested the EM5-iii vs the G9, and did not see a significant improvement for tracking in the EM5-iii over the G9 on v2.4 FW. This was tracking dogs running around, though, which is a different use case. Have you used both? I have tried to find head to head comparisons, but all the comparison videos I found were from like 2 years ago, and so represented the first G9 FW.

Real Name
Henrik
I have tried both, with the same lens - Leica DG 100-400. I had no prior experience with the E-M1 but thousands of BIF photos with the G9. The E-M1 II was significantly better at consistently, quickly and accurately acquiring focus. I got mostly keepers in series where I know I would get zero or very few real keepers with the G9.

The downsides of the E-M1 II that I noticed were:
- No AF joystick
- The battery seemed to drain very quickly in comparison
- EVF felt worse

Variable

Mu-43 Regular
Well thank you, all. That helps understand what’s needed to get the BIF shots I was hoping for originally. Didn’t realize how much it would cost to get that. Too rich, and too big for me. Guess I’ll just work on technique instead. Or maybe, just maybe, Panasonic will release new firmware for the GX85-ish generation that includes all or some of the same AF animal detect? We can dream.

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I’ve always struggled keeping BIFs in my viewfinder, so how good the camera can focus in that situation doesn’t do much for me. I think it’s one of the toughest genres to shoot, or at least one that can get expensive really fast. The $6500 Sony A1 and a $15,000 lens should get you the absolute best results, but then your new problem becomes picking the best shot out of 300 consecutive frames with a 90%+ hit rate. :p

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I’ve always struggled keeping BIFs in my viewfinder, so how good the camera can focus in that situation doesn’t do much for me. I think it’s one of the toughest genres to shoot, or at least one that can get expensive really fast. The $6500 Sony A1 and a $15,000 lens should get you the absolute best results, but then your new problem becomes picking the best shot out of 300 consecutive frames with a 90%+ hit rate. :p
I don't think it needs to be all that expensive. People did it with manual film cameras for years. It all depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. I admire those who've spent enough time honing their skills to have gotten good at it. Same with wildlife, an awful lot of that comes down to researching the target and waiting in the right spot, in addition to top-drawer photographic ability.

Me? I don't have the time. Maybe some day when I'm retired. Until then, bring on the gear!

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Well thank you, all. That helps understand what’s needed to get the BIF shots I was hoping for originally. Didn’t realize how much it would cost to get that. Too rich, and too big for me. Guess I’ll just work on technique instead. Or maybe, just maybe, Panasonic will release new firmware for the GX85-ish generation that includes all or some of the same AF animal detect? We can dream.
Are you familiar with zone focusing? Maybe give that a shot. If BIF is your heart's desire, there are ways around high-cost gear if you have the time.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I don't think it needs to be all that expensive. People did it with manual film cameras for years. It all depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. I admire those who've spent enough time honing their skills to have gotten good at it. Same with wildlife, an awful lot of that comes down to researching the target and waiting in the right spot, in addition to top-drawer photographic ability.

Me? I don't have the time. Maybe some day when I'm retired. Until then, bring on the gear!
Yeah, I think I was pointing at the extremes. Fast CAF bodies with big buffers and long fast lenses are where things really add up in any format. You can certainly do it for less, and I agree that those who master BIF really earn it. Sometimes our passions drive our wallets, too. ;)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom