New G9 firmware (2.4) - AF improvement in all AF modes?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I have two G9's which I used last week, one upgraded the other not (forgot that house:doh:) Used them both last week with 12-60 and oly40-150+tc14. I felt there was a definite improvement and the images were much sharper (either that or I am getting better :-D )
What were your subjects?

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
So, we're just about two weeks into the update. I would imagine most of us have had a chance to try it out, some extensively. Has anyone noticed a huge improvement over the previous firmware? My experience was 'meh'. At an airshow my hit rate was no better or worse than before.
Well not having the animal / face detect in single point before and having it now is a huge improvement IMO. But otherwise, no I haven't noticed anything else. I will add that the tracking seems to be better than I remember. It did manage to track the deer from the side and rear, not just the face, even when it went behind trees and came back out it found it.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Found this video on the FW update (skip to about 1/2 way through). I am looking to upgrade from a G80. This AF puts the G9 in the running, though a bigger body than I was considering.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Found this video on the FW update (skip to about 1/2 way through). I am looking to upgrade from a G80. This AF puts the G9 in the running, though a bigger body than I was considering.

Yeah, it’s a bigger body, but if you’re shooting with bigger lenses (like the PL100-400), it offers some nice balance. I want to say that I’ve noticed an overall improvement with AF with the update. To me, it just seems to be faster at keeping the AF lock, which would be consistent with the notes on the FW update.

Cynthia

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Cynthia
Anyone have issues updating lenses?

Updated my G9 just fine, but the H-XAO25 (PL 25mm f1.4 lens) update won't work. Current lens FW version is 1, new is 1.1, but when I hit the Play button it says "no valid picture to play", which according to the instructions, means the current update is the latest? Tried reformatting the card and in both slots, but same message appears. The G9 update was a .bin file, the lens update is a .lin file type.
I actually had the same issue with the same lens (PL 25mm f1.4). I have tried updating it on three separate times, and nada. I cleaned the contact pins thinking this was the issue and still wouldn’t update. All the other lenses updated just fine.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
An unintended consequence?

Has anyone else noticed that since the update the G9 takes and extraordinarily long time to get to review once you press the button? There has always been a lag with the G9 (which seems to take longer than other cameras), but now mine is taking very long.

Anyone else?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide

Has anyone else noticed that since the update the G9 takes and extraordinarily long time to get to review once you press the button? There has always been a lag with the G9 (which seems to take longer than other cameras), but now mine is taking very long.

Anyone else?
Can’t say I’ve paid attention to it. If there is some truth to this claim (and not just an anomaly), I wonder if there is a resource limitation being reached, where more caching has to be done to pull up the image viewing module. If the AF detect rate has indeed doubled, I could see more RAM being needed for the photo-taking software in the camera to keep up.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Hmmm...did some shooting and checked again, and it went to review almost immediately. Faster in fact than it used to be. I will continue to monitor this to see if it's happening under certain circumstances.

pitkin

Mu-43 Rookie

Anyone else?

Funnily enough, I thought that exact thing at the weekend.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I only notice this delay the first time after the camera hasn't been powered on in a while. I almost suspect that when "cold starting," the G9 doesn't load the picture viewing module so that it readies quicker. Once you load it, it probably stays in RAM, but maybe a burst series that fills the buffer would flush it out of RAM again. Maybe you can find out the latter by shooting a burst series and then try to view the shots right after.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I only notice this delay the first time after the camera hasn't been powered on in a while. I almost suspect that when "cold starting," the G9 doesn't load the picture viewing module so that it readies quicker. Once you load it, it probably stays in RAM, but maybe a burst series that fills the buffer would flush it out of RAM again. Maybe you can find out the latter by shooting a burst series and then try to view the shots right after.
Good suggestion on the burst. I was in fact shooting bursts today.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom