New G9 firmware (2.4) - AF improvement in all AF modes?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
So I was sitting watching some tv, and it was fun aiming the camera at the TV and watching the head/face/eye detect go to town on the commercial breaks. It seems very fast to detect, even with the rapid scene changes. I know it's not a test of AF, but it certainly shows the camera trying its best to grab the faces in fast moving scenes.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Just got back from an air event. The new focus did not acquire airplanes. What it did do was acquire people standing on the announcers scaffold as I panned across, which was really pretty annoying. I shut it off.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think my camera just hates my wife. I honestly can't see any real improvement with the eye detect. Unless she's looking directly at me, without a hat. Human detection seems to work well, get the orange box relatively consistently. Tried a few different lenses, 12-35 f/2.8 mkII, Siggy 30 1.4, Siggy 56 1.4, & another which escapes me at this present time. Not disappointed at all. Pinpoint works all the time, every time, 100% accurately. Not sure if I'm imagining it, but my 12-35 f/2.8 may focus more consistently/accurately at f/2.8 using the small/est 1 area focus box/point.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just got back from an air event. The new focus did not acquire airplanes. What it did do was acquire people standing on the announcers scaffold as I panned across, which was really pretty annoying. I shut it off.
Did you try using the plain Jane tracking mode? 2nd from the left icon in the AF mode menu?

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Did you try using the plain Jane tracking mode? 2nd from the left icon in the AF mode menu?
I've never had much luck with tracking for airplanes and racing. It works good for kids and dogs. If I'm not keeping it in the frame it won't be much of a shot, in focus or not. I use a large single area in the middle.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've never had much luck with tracking for airplanes and racing. It works good for kids and dogs. If I'm not keeping it in the frame it won't be much of a shot, in focus or not. I use a large single area in the middle.
I was curious, as I've never really tried it either. I mostly use a custom, central diamond pattern, sized a bit larger than my subject, & try to rely on my sadly lacking panning skills to keep it on the subject. If I can keep that on the subject, it works really really well. I was wondering if the tracking mode would actually give the AF system an easier time, as it only has to worry about what's under the AF box, not trying to guess where to focus as I wobble on & off the subject. With all the lockdowns & cancellations of most all motorsports here, I just haven't had a chance to experiment with any motorsport at all for probably over a year now. I must give it a try. Cheers

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I was curious, as I've never really tried it either. I mostly use a custom, central diamond pattern, sized a bit larger than my subject, & try to rely on my sadly lacking panning skills to keep it on the subject. If I can keep that on the subject, it works really really well. I was wondering if the tracking mode would actually give the AF system an easier time, as it only has to worry about what's under the AF box, not trying to guess where to focus as I wobble on & off the subject. With all the lockdowns & cancellations of most all motorsports here, I just haven't had a chance to experiment with any motorsport at all for probably over a year now. I must give it a try. Cheers
I should add that tracking helps when it's coming at you or moving away, but side to side things just happen to fast for it to be much benefit. I think using a single large area in the middle helps, although maybe I'm missing the boat and should just go with the entire screen and let the camera find it.

I will say that the new focus updates were pretty impressive in locating people as I described in my earlier post. It recognized people immediately as I panned across the stand.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good for Ducks not so much for Swallows ( :daz:). It is a very nice upgrade especially for critters on the ground or in the bush. I am next going to try dragon flies (they tend to hover a bit where Swallows are just plain fighter pilot aces). Between this and the last upgrade I am very happy, any purchases I make over the next 5 years will be lens and perhaps a camera to replace my Gx85 (I want smaller but it probably won't happen due to I need 4K).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I actually don't use the animal detect mode. While I find that it has helped get the animal in focus, it often misses on the eye, so it just doesn't look quite right. I've taken to fine focus on still creatures using SCP. That doesn't work great for things in motion, which makes the CAF with detect at least offering a better chance of the hit I was looking for. With people, it often picks up the eye, so I have no objections using it for that purpose.

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Anyone have issues updating lenses?

Updated my G9 just fine, but the H-XAO25 (PL 25mm f1.4 lens) update won't work. Current lens FW version is 1, new is 1.1, but when I hit the Play button it says "no valid picture to play", which according to the instructions, means the current update is the latest? Tried reformatting the card and in both slots, but same message appears. The G9 update was a .bin file, the lens update is a .lin file type.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro

Updated my G9 just fine, but the H-XAO25 (PL 25mm f1.4 lens) update won't work. Current lens FW version is 1, new is 1.1, but when I hit the Play button it says "no valid picture to play", which according to the instructions, means the current update is the latest? Tried reformatting the card and in both slots, but same message appears. The G9 update was a .bin file, the lens update is a .lin file type.
I wouldn't worry about it. The lens updates only apply to the GH5 II anyways.

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue

Brownie

Real Name
Tim

The software probably know is isn't a GH5 and is stopping you on purpose.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
So, we're just about two weeks into the update. I would imagine most of us have had a chance to try it out, some extensively. Has anyone noticed a huge improvement over the previous firmware? My experience was 'meh'. At an airshow my hit rate was no better or worse than before.

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
So, we're just about two weeks into the update. I would imagine most of us have had a chance to try it out, some extensively. Has anyone noticed a huge improvement over the previous firmware? My experience was 'meh'. At an airshow my hit rate was no better or worse than before.
I have two G9's which I used last week, one upgraded the other not (forgot that house:doh:) Used them both last week with 12-60 and oly40-150+tc14. I felt there was a definite improvement and the images were much sharper (either that or I am getting better :-D )

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Last week was hot as hell so I didn’t exactly feel like testing on anything. In my limited time, I still had some good success with it. The best test was capturing kids being tossed into the air at the pond. CAF followed the faces and eyes from pretty well, despite pretty harsh lighting.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom