New G9 firmware (2.4) - AF improvement in all AF modes?

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
what is the [Frame Maker] function that they added?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
BTW do not change F1 to something besides focus settings or you won't see the new single frame human/animal detect. I had mine set to focus near and it I could not find the new setting. Near and Far focus are now front buttons with rear focus button focus only.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
BTW do not change F1 to something besides focus settings or you won't see the new single frame human/animal detect. I had mine set to focus near and it I could not find the new setting. Near and Far focus are now front buttons with rear focus button focus only.
I've been using the front buttons for the near/far since the update. Can you assign the new recognition to a button? Am going to flash the camera tomorrow.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
what is the [Frame Maker] function that they added?
The Frame Marker feature is to put a frame for a different aspect ratio on the EVF and LVM while shooting. This is most helpful when shooting a RAW photo, or shooting Video in a different aspect ratio and still see what's happening around the recorded area. It can be used to help predict camera movement, and help with composition in photo and especially video to create Anamorphic cinema video. Consider the cost of a Anamorphic lens, and this feature is a great benefit for a G9 Hybrid shooter.

Real Name
Henrik
Thanks. I use the front lever to change from Full IS to vertical only, otherwise the camera tries to correct when you're panning. I'll have to pick a different button!
Could you elaborate on how much of a difference this makes? I do a lot of BIF photography which obviously involves a lot of panning. I don't know if horizontal IS messes up sharpness somehow during panning.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
Anyone else here notice that the new tweak on the G9's Human/ Animal Detect AF does not need to be locked on by the shooter?
I shot some video testing the AI AF and without indicating or pressing the back button focus to lock on a target, the camera automatically acquired and locked on to single subjects faster than before.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Could you elaborate on how much of a difference this makes? I do a lot of BIF photography which obviously involves a lot of panning. I don't know if horizontal IS messes up sharpness somehow during panning.
It can read side to side movement as camera shake and try to correct your pan. It helps some, but like anything else technique wins the day. I think in order to get really good at panning you'd be better served by shutting it all off and learning the old way. I do ok, not great. I think it's about the same difference as shutting off all IS when using a tripod.

@Robstar1963 is the king of panning, maybe he can elaborate more.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
What lens is that for?

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
IME having the DUAL IS2 on while using a tripod or monopod helps greatly when shooting the long end of the super-tele ranges. And if you plan to do any kind of panning for 4K video the in-camera digital stabilization with tripod is a must shooting super-teles when panning 4K.

Last edited:

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I updated the G9, and some of the PL lenses. There are no updates for 12-35, 35-100 v1... will the AF performance be upgraded when using those lenses?

So far with the 100-400 I just got to test it on kids running around across the street shot through my window (man it feels so wrong doing it, I don't even have the heart to click the shutter) and tracking seems impressive.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So far with the 100-400 I just got to test it on kids running around across the street shot through my window (man it feels so wrong doing it, I don't even have the heart to click the shutter) and tracking seems impressive.
Ha ha, I'm hearing ya. Not with kids, but something as benign & harmless as standing in a front yard, and shooting/panning cars as they drive by. It doesn't even take 5 minutes before some irate driver will chuck a U turn, pull up and start with a tirade demanding what you're doing, why, what for, and so on. I won't do it any more, as I simply can't be bothered with the agro.

Real Name
Henrik
I updated the G9, and some of the PL lenses. There are no updates for 12-35, 35-100 v1... will the AF performance be upgraded when using those lenses?

The lens firmware relates to some new focus ring functionality and GH5ii compatibility so no worries there.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
My biggest disappointment with this firmware is that they didn't fix that reset to custom settings on sleep issue. Makes the custom buttons C1-C3 useless for me.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
AF Works. But the reality is, with 4K and super-teles, they can't be moving too fast in 24p or 30p. Does anyone here use the 60p exclusively for wildlife and super-teles for 4K? And is it a viable option to get faster camera movement, without it looking too staccato?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom