New G9 firmware (2.4) - AF improvement in all AF modes?

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yang
Ok, I just updated. First test using AFC with Custom Multi AF mode. Here's the out of camera jpgs in every 5 frames as too many to post here, but every frame is in focus. Will test more on some other time.

P1005170.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1005175.JPG

P1005180.JPG

P1005185.JPG

P1005190.JPG

P1005195.JPG

P1005200.JPG

P1005205.JPG

P1005210.JPG

P1005215.JPG

P1005220.JPG

Last edited:

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
A quick reminder, today should be the day.
The lens FW dropped yesterday so the camera body should hopefully be on schedule today at some point.
https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html
It's Evening 8th of June in the US, but Japan is one day ahead. Thus, I've just updated the G9 and 4 lenses. Seems the lens updates are for the ring focus on the GH5II, and GH6.

As for the G9 AF the one area & Animal Detect AF is very responsive and accurate in very low light 1 to 3 second exposure at f/2.8. And the switching between subjects is noticeably faster to acquire and boxup. I can't wait to get out and use this thing in the morning light.

Real Name
Henrik
It's Evening 8th of June in the US, but Japan is one day ahead. Thus, I've just updated the G9 and 4 lenses. Seems the lens updates are for the ring focus on the GH5II, and GH6.

As for the G9 AF the one area & Animal Detect AF is very responsive and accurate in very low light 1 to 3 second exposure at f/2.8. And the switching between subjects is noticeably faster to acquire and boxup. I can't wait to get out and use this thing in the morning light.
So hyped to try it on birds! Tested it on people outside the kitchen window and it seems to both acquire and update better, basically what Panasonic said. The head detect also works on humans from behind.

A little tip: I have assigned the front lever to enable/disable the human/animal detect mode. That way, you can be in any AF mode and instantly get to h/a detect mode. I have done some testing before the FW update and I honestly don't think being in single AF mode with h/a detect on improves the tracking quality over being in the dedicated h/a tracking mode.

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another smooth, quick & painless update from the team at Panny. I see there's now a new menu entry in the focus point type menu. I'll have to wait for the wife to get home to try out the updated human detect. Previously, I wasn't particularly impressed by it, for some reason it failed to lock onto my wife whenever she was wearing a hat. Which is most of the time, when we're out & about. We'll see how it goes now. Couldn't be any worse.

This is what I get..
1623225104314.png

Real Name
Henrik
Following this:
"A little tip: I have assigned the front lever to enable/disable the human/animal detect mode. That way, you can be in any AF mode and instantly get to h/a detect mode. I have done some testing before the FW update and I honestly don't think being in single AF mode with h/a detect on improves the tracking quality over being in the dedicated h/a tracking mode."

I just tested the h/a tracking mode compared to the single area with tracking enabled. Tracking speeds are identical between the modes - both tracking and acquisition are seriously improved - but the dedicated h/a tracking mode tracks the subject all the way out to the edge of the display. The s-af mode only tracks to where the size of the "focus box" ends. So if you want full screen tracking, use the dedicated h/a tracking mode and if you want it limited, use the s-af mode and set the size of the focus box accordingly. Great to have this kind of flexibility available.

FWIW, I have h/a tracking mode on/off on the front lever and focus near/far on the front Fn buttons. It's a great setup and I recommend you to try it.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Following this:
"A little tip: I have assigned the front lever to enable/disable the human/animal detect mode. That way, you can be in any AF mode and instantly get to h/a detect mode. I have done some testing before the FW update and I honestly don't think being in single AF mode with h/a detect on improves the tracking quality over being in the dedicated h/a tracking mode."

I just tested the h/a tracking mode compared to the single area with tracking enabled. Tracking speeds are identical between the modes - both tracking and acquisition are seriously improved - but the dedicated h/a tracking mode tracks the subject all the way out to the edge of the display. The s-af mode only tracks to where the size of the "focus box" ends. So if you want full screen tracking, use the dedicated h/a tracking mode and if you want it limited, use the s-af mode and set the size of the focus box accordingly. Great to have this kind of flexibility available.

FWIW, I have h/a tracking mode on/off on the front lever and focus near/far on the front Fn buttons. It's a great setup and I recommend you to try it.
I have the lever doing that on a few of my modes. I have a custom dial mode where it is set to enable disable tracking too. So many options on this body.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Updated both G9's and will be at the pond in less than an hours.....just tried it in a fairly dark room with the cats (wow), trying not to get too excited until I'm trying BIF.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
Now with the H/A detect AF for 1-area, I can use AFS/AFF on the focus lever and get the H/A detect AF. And this thing is awesome with the 50-200 ELMARIT.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Heads up: I had my back button focus set to BBF with Near. Was not happy with the way the update was working, change BBF to only focus and F1 to near, update works like a charm now.

Big improvement in video focusing also.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I came across a G9 question from a new owner on the internet today. They were asking about the function of the front lever and the front rotary control with the lightning symbol. It appears that if you mount the G9 on a tripod, remove the round cover. The camera will automatically take shots of lightning flashes if pointing in the right direction. amazing what the new software update can do. Asking for a fiend, what is the best lens for taking lightning shots?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I came across a G9 question from a new owner on the internet today. They were asking about the function of the front lever and the front rotary control with the lightning symbol. It appears that if you mount the G9 on a tripod, remove the round cover. The camera will automatically take shots of lightning flashes if pointing in the right direction. amazing what the new software update can do. Asking for a fiend, what is the best lens for taking lightning shots?
I use that feature with no lens. That way, the results are known ahead of time!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Is this true? I always wondered what that round deal was in the front. I assumed it was for a camera flash, which I don’t use/own. Never bothered to dive that far into the manual to see. A manual is just another man’s opinion, or is that instruction books? I can’t remember.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
This is true. I know it to be fact because the little round cover with the lightning symbol got lost and I had to replace it with a plain one. When I checked, the lightning feature doesn't work.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom