New G9 firmware (2.4) - AF improvement in all AF modes?

Real Name
Henrik
Regarding the coming firmware update to the G9:

Lumix G9 Firmware Version 2.4​

Improved AF performance
The G9 gains the improved autofocus technology and performance of the Lumix S5.

• Eyes and face are detected at a 2x faster recognition cycle speed and humans and animals at a 5x faster recognition cycle speed.
  • Tracking and recognition performance of AF are improved with the addition of head recognition.
  • Human/animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area].
I'm not sure how to interpret the first two bullets. Will it only affect the People/Animal detection and one-area AF mode, or all AF modes? Does it mean the camera will only recognize/pick up subjects faster, or will it also increase the "stickiness" of the AF of those subjects in other modes? Am I missing something?

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
every little improvement to AF is very welcome, and makes it more difficult to decide to let the G9 go, lol.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Regarding the coming firmware update to the G9:

Lumix G9 Firmware Version 2.4​

Improved AF performance
The G9 gains the improved autofocus technology and performance of the Lumix S5.

• Eyes and face are detected at a 2x faster recognition cycle speed and humans and animals at a 5x faster recognition cycle speed.
  • Tracking and recognition performance of AF are improved with the addition of head recognition.
  • Human/animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area].
I'm not sure how to interpret the first two bullets. Will it only affect the People/Animal detection and one-area AF mode, or all AF modes? Does it mean the camera will only recognize/pick up subjects faster, or will it also increase the "stickiness" of the AF of those subjects in other modes? Am I missing something?
I think in answer to your question, the human/animal is a separate mode than one-area, and now you'll be able to activate it while in the different (one-area) mode.

But I'm in the same boat for the rest of it. This appears to be an improvement for people and animals, only. Will the tracking work better on an airplane? A car? Is this really the only difference between the AF on a G9 and an S5?

I agree with @saladin that every improvement in AF is welcome, but I do wish they'd offer a better description.

Real Name
Henrik
Found some useful info in the DPReview review of the S5:

"One of the major features is the camera's improved autofocus. The biggest changes come when shooting bursts of stills. Panasonic says it found a way to re-work its subject recognition algorithm in a way that lets the AF system perform more Depth-from-Defocus calculations. This reduces the amount of hunting (and distracting viewfinder flutter) when performing continuous AF."

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/2658622710/hands-on-with-the-panasonic-lumix-s5

So that's basically exactly what I was hoping for :) hyped for the update!

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Found some useful info in the DPReview review of the S5:

"One of the major features is the camera's improved autofocus. The biggest changes come when shooting bursts of stills. Panasonic says it found a way to re-work its subject recognition algorithm in a way that lets the AF system perform more Depth-from-Defocus calculations. This reduces the amount of hunting (and distracting viewfinder flutter) when performing continuous AF."

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/2658622710/hands-on-with-the-panasonic-lumix-s5

So that's basically exactly what I was hoping for :) hyped for the update!
I'm highly curious to see if these performance improvements make it into the G9. I've seen how the S5 behaves in CAF during video and it is much less flutter than I experienced with the G9 while taking burst stills. I didn't notice it much at first but it became night and day difference when I tried the em1iii- it is much more poised in comparison whereas the G9 just feels like you're in a war movie.

Real Name
Henrik
As a new G9 owner, I would like to see the live composite mode that was implemented on the G90/95.
Could you explain what that is please?

Edit: never mind, I was too lazy to google. That would be a nice addition!

I'm hoping they also add some of those jpeg modes that are getting added to other models. I really like the l.mono.d and cinev modes.

Last edited:
Real Name
Henrik
I'm highly curious to see if these performance improvements make it into the G9. I've seen how the S5 behaves in CAF during video and it is much less flutter than I experienced with the G9 while taking burst stills. I didn't notice it much at first but it became night and day difference when I tried the em1iii- it is much more poised in comparison whereas the G9 just feels like you're in a war movie.
Yeah, let's hope that it really makes a significant improvement. It should be noted though that mine and others' experience shows that a lot of those "flutter shots" are still sharp. But it's not exactly helping :p Did you also get a higher keeper rate with the em1iii?

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
I think in answer to your question, the human/animal is a separate mode than one-area, and now you'll be able to activate it while in the different (one-area) mode.

But I'm in the same boat for the rest of it. This appears to be an improvement for people and animals, only. Will the tracking work better on an airplane? A car? Is this really the only difference between the AF on a G9 and an S5?

I agree with @saladin that every improvement in AF is welcome, but I do wish they'd offer a better description.
In my experience with the Lumix G9 and Animal Detect AF, it will lock on to airplanes, choppers, trucks, bikes, cars, boats, and almost any moving subject that you can lock the white or yellow focus box on. My understanding is, the AF is using Artificial Intelligence to learn patterns of movement and size changes of those subject moving in the shot. much like the Stabilizer learning the movement of the camera. Takes about 1 to 3 seconds sometimes when light is poor or there are a lot of moving things in the shot. The Animal Detect AF works great for BIF at 200mm hand held. And depending on the size and flight of the bird it can get a high keeper rate much higher than anything I got out of my DSLRs. The only quirk I find is when bursting with Electronic shutter for super fast burst, or shooting 4K video with fast moving subject, the image in the EVF and LVM looks jerky, no black out, just looks like it's hunting. BUT, this has no impact on the outcome of the 4K video or photos. Video comes out smooth focusing, and the burst sequence is about 90% keeper.

If I miss shots, it's usually my fault for not keeping the subject in the focus are, or trying to push low shutter on erratic fast subjects.

Last edited:
Real Name
Henrik
I'm getting animal detect AF lock-ons on BIF at full focus length with my PL100-400 :) But it's not consistently finding and locking on.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom