New G80/85 owner

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by atlantic21, Oct 16, 2016.

1. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Camera delivered yesterday from Wex UK, first picture taken today at a place called Fernworthy reservoir on Dartmoor.
    P1000033-3.

• Like Like x 14
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I'm really interested in this camera and I'm glad to see they've started shipping. Hopefully we'll start seeing some real world feedback now.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    What a tiny bridge!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Congratulations.
    Me too!
    I went into Jessops today and bought one.
    Got a good trade in deal.
    Here are some initial impressions.
    Excellent large EVF when compared to G6 and earlier.
    Top wheels and dials seem nicely constructed.
    Incredibly quiet shutter sound.
    Usual G series good ergonomic feel in the hand.
    Heavier than earlier G models especially with the weather sealed 12-60 lens which itself is heavier than the 14-42 kit lenses.
    Have figured out my old MF lens focus system so am happy with that. (F1 button for "AF selection" which is then assigned to focus assist when in MF mode)
    The ibis can be switched on and off when using the MF lenses but I will probably just leave it on. Doesn't seem as powerful as EM5 ibis but good enough for focus assist and far better than nothing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  5. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    The 2 things that interest me the most are EVF and AF performance, compared to earlier (pre DFD) models. Does the EVF have any tearing like the earlier models, and does AF cope any better with moving subjects?

6. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    This bridge is normally under water but has been exposed due to the lack of rain

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  7. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm in low light at the moment and the EVF is pretty bad (in terms of juddering image) when you move it quickly (worse than EM5 which also exhibits this)
    What impressed me was more the overall size of the EVF view.
    In general I like the default light/colour from the Olympus EVFs compared to Panasonics. They look less video like and more natural.
    I must admit I'm not the best person to write about EVFs or continuous/tracking auto focus so I'll leave that to those who are more experienced.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Would that not be a major flaw in it's design :whistling: :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    What's the maximum bulb exposure time for the G80? Is it limited to 2 minutes like some other G series bodies?

Simon.

10. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I think it's limited to two minutes.
    EM5 ii is 30 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Thanks for the feedback. That's a little bit disappointing, but its what I need to know. I've had a G2 and a G5, and whilst the EVFs were fine in good light, I found their low light performance a bit frustrating, and not ideal for fireworks etc.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2016
    You need to switch off the auto focus continuous tracking in low light if you want to avoid a juddering image when panning. The dual IBIS system is trying to give you a steady, shake free image because it thinks that you are a bit unsteady in holding the camera...

• Like Like x 2
  13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Well even with mf switched on. And stabiliser switched off I'm getting the effect. Especially noticeable panning vertically for some reason.
    I am in a very dimly lit room.
    I tried em5 with same lens 14mm f2.5 and
    It works better.

14. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Yep. There's always something with cameras that isn't ideal.
    I've sort of been working it out by running a Panasonic and an Olympus body. Not very practical though as the mode of operation is so different.

15. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Yes, there always seems to be some kind of compromise. I've generally found Panasonic display performance to be poor in low light, whilst their AF remains stronger (I briefly had an LF1, which was the same). The EVF on my EM10 is a more natural experience, and in live view on my Canon, I don't experience any such smudging or lag, even in dimly lit rooms, but then it's auto focus becomes painfully slow.

In 95% of my usage, low light screen lag wouldn't be a problem, but I was hoping the G80 would be a true all-rounder that would allow me to ditch my Canon. Maybe its not quite there, but the G80 still looks like a great camera that would bring a lot of other useful features to the table, so I won't rule it out as a future upgrade to my G5.

16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Can you keep the use the magnification assist while the IBIS stabilizes the viewfinder?

Prior to the GX85, Panasonic's IBIS always seemed slightly-half baked because you couldn't see the stabilize through the EVF, so in practice I preferred OIS when available. But if you can stabilize a magnified view, it may well make MF tele lenses much more usable for me.

17. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    yes you can!

This is how I described it on my flickr post after testing last night

Set the MF focus assist magnifier setting to both "lens turn" and "AF selector" or just for "AF Selector"
    Then assign F1 button to "AF selector". (you can also just use the left button on rear D-pad)
    Make sure stabilisation is on in menu. A white hand on the LCD display shows that it is.

Then all you need to do to get a stabilised zoomed view is press F1 which is right near the shutter button.
    Put your finger on shutterbutton but don't press.
    Once perfect focus achieved then press shutter fully to shoot or halfway to adjust framing then fully to shoot.

What I would add is that the stabilisation although on only really noticeably kicks in once you are holding the camera still.
    It's almost like you have to wait a moment for it to settle.
    It is there and it does make it easier to focus those manual telephoto lenses.
    But it is not as Rock Solid as the EM5 and other OMDs.
    One more caveat - I only really tested this briefly last night in a dark room so my judgement may be suspect.
    I'll update when I've taken the camera out and about and tested it properly.

Final note.
    I just updated the firmware on my Lumix 14-140ii and Dual IS 2 seems to work very well.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Just tested video and noticed the humming of the stabiliser is permanently on even if you switch stabiliser off. The internal mic does pick up the hum which is annoying. I sometimes do a blog and plug a mic in for better quality. If I keep this away from the camera it shouldn't pick up the hum.

However I prefer a quiet camera. I'm guessing whatever is making the noise has to be on all the time unlike the Olympus tech.
    Sensitive types beware!

19. PJ McKenna

PJ McKenna Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2015
    PJ McKenna
    Does it sound like ?

20. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Yes. Exactly like that.