New G5 on the way

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by OdzBodkinz, Jan 3, 2013.

1. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    I sold my m4/3 gear and tried Sony. I was not happy with the atrocious AF. I didn't want to spend on the OMD again, so thought about the EPL5. While browsing, I realized I could get a refurbed G5 from Amazon for $400. Seemed like a great deal, so I jumped. Got one coming today. Rented the 35-100 for a photo trip on Saturday too. Looking forward to the results.

2. flippic

flippic Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    I've had the G5 for about 2 weeks now and really like it. Have fun with yours!

3. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    My G5 arrived today, very pleased with it. Doesn't feel a great deal different from my old G3, but the slightly chunkier grip is very welcome. I get the impression there isn't a lot of love for it compared to the all conquering OM-D, but in the UK I can buy a G5 and something like the Olympus 75mm 1.8 for the same price as an OM-D body.

I got a pretty good deal also, brand new £600 with £130 cashback, came with the 14-42 and 45-150 which I'm selling. With average prices for those once sold it should end costing me about £270 ($440) for the body.

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Having owned all three, the G5 feels like a G3 with a slightly curvier GH2 grip. I had thought that they should have just put a GX1 grip on the G3, but the G5's grip is far more positive. Still a little tough to hold a 14-140mm one-handed, mostly due to the short height of the grip giving the pinky nothing to rest on. However, that's a really heavy lens for this system, and anything short of that is pretty stable one-handed.

Like all Panasonics with built-in EVFs, the eye piece still sticks out too far from the back for my taste. I find that is makes it too hard to place in a jacket pocket. The E-M5's eye-piece sticks out less, and then they offer the option of a larger one.

With the e-shutter and flip screen, it can make a really great waist-level street cam with the 20mm. Cradle it in your left hand, thumb and forefinger around the lens, and flip the screen out so that it is sitting on (behind, for anyone looking at you) your wrist turned up toward your face. The right thumb can then be used to subtly press the shutter. It just looks like you're carrying it around in your left hand. Nobody who isn't watching you closely would ever notice that you're actually taking pictures.

5. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Awesome! Cant wait to see your pics. I just ordered one two days ago and should be here on Saturday. Looking forward to toying around with the panoramic and HDR function.

6. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    G5 articulating screen works well...

I agree. I find it handy in many situations to flip out the screen, point the camera at a subject and they aren't aware that their picture is being taken. It helps get better candids of friends and family as well as making for a great street camera.

I am still surprised at how good the IQ is for the price when compared with the price of an OMD.

I also love the ergonomics of the larger grip. It just feels good in your hand.

Dan

7. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I pulled the trigger on a G5 during the Amazon lightning deal in late December. I did my best to save my money for the PL25 I've been coveting, but the deal was too good to pass up. Anyway after spending a week or so with it, I'm extremely pleased with what it offers over the G3. The higher res LCD screen alone almost makes the upgrade worth it for me. I can actually use the LCD to focus my adapted lens now instead of resorting to using the viewfinder all the time.

8. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    The HDR was my favorite thing on the Sony.

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The E-M5 has several features (weather sealing, 5-axis IBIS, etc.), not to mention the styling, that made the starting price rightfully a bit higher than the G5 (about $300 more, list.) Those features, in conjunction with a slight IQ advantage, have landed the E-M5 some pretty heavy praise. As such, its price has not dropped at all, while the G5 has taken Panasonic's typical path. It makes the G5 a very good buy where it sits, unless you need that little extra or, as in my case, you don't really have time to process all of your images shot in RAW, so you want the best OOC jpegs that you can get. Having owned five Panasonics, I can safely say two things: (1) their jpegs have gotten better, and (2) they still aren't on par with Olympus'.

I have long fingers, so I find that the grip is still too thin for me. It is very much like what I found with the GH2. I've actually tried a few Nikon DSLRs (D3100 and D5100, I believe) that I felt the same way about (note: the D600 felt niiiiiiceeeeee. :biggrin: )

Speaking of the GH2, one thing that I do miss from that camera was the control panel that you could get to on the LCD by hitting the Display button a few times. I used to leave it on that screen with the eye-sensor turned on. So, if the camera was away from my eye, I had a quick panel to change most any option (and wasn't wasting the battery with Live View.) Controls felt a little bit more like a traditional DSLR that way.

10. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I would be curious on your impression on a refurbished G5, any information would be helpful to guide me in my purchase.

11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I got a used one from BHphoto for 435 this week.
    It came new documentation and strap and was shot count of about 1000.
    It looks to me it was a shop demo.
    you can also check there if they have more.

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    You guys will be very happy with the G5 I'm sure. I picked one up on release (yay depreciation of around 100 bucks) and it was a worthy upgrade from my G1/EP1. Not a glamorous camera, but highly practical.

It's a solid, workhorse style camera for me...even if the Fuji X-E1 has captured most of my attention these days. But hey I do still need a body for all the awesome m43 lenses..