1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mogul, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    UPS delivered my new G3 this morning, and that has made for a very busy day. First a trip to Pardees for a 52mm UV-0, a step up ring to use my macro supplemental lenses (filter add-on type), a small tripod base and a screw to adapt the base to my Black-Rapid sling system. Then two more stops before I found an OEM spare battery. Finally, a session with my Rototrim to cut an LCD cover to size and applying it with no fingerprints. All this time and I don't have a single picture yet. Oh yes, and a lot of time downloading the manual to my iPad and reading. Tomorrow I check for firmware updates.

So, my questions for all of you out there are:
    1. What would advise as a second lens?
    2. What shoe-mount flash can I get that I can also fire with a remote?
    3. Does anyone know of a device like a Pocket Wizard I can use on the hot shoe?
    4. What is the best source for very inexpensive (like US$10-20) flashes for slave fill-in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I can only speak to query #1 - the second lens depends on what you'd like to shoot to a certain extent.

Personally, as soon as I was able to afford it I opted for the 20mm f1.7 - I actually picked it up from BBW on this forum about a year and a half ago.

Its sharp, has a nice focal length and decent low-light performance.

Unfortunately like a few lenses from the early m43 days, it suffers from comparatively slow AF. The 25 & 45 offer comparable low light capability, stellar image quality and much much faster AF but the 25 is out of my price range and the 45 can be a difficult focal length for daily shooting.

I'd keep an eye out for the 20. If you want wide on a budget the old 17 is under-rated.

If you see Ned online, he knows a thing or two about flash to help with your other questions.

Good luck !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.