1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mogul, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    UPS delivered my new G3 this morning, and that has made for a very busy day. First a trip to Pardees for a 52mm UV-0, a step up ring to use my macro supplemental lenses (filter add-on type), a small tripod base and a screw to adapt the base to my Black-Rapid sling system. Then two more stops before I found an OEM spare battery. Finally, a session with my Rototrim to cut an LCD cover to size and applying it with no fingerprints. All this time and I don't have a single picture yet. Oh yes, and a lot of time downloading the manual to my iPad and reading. Tomorrow I check for firmware updates.

So, my questions for all of you out there are:
    1. What would advise as a second lens?
    2. What shoe-mount flash can I get that I can also fire with a remote?
    3. Does anyone know of a device like a Pocket Wizard I can use on the hot shoe?
    4. What is the best source for very inexpensive (like US$10-20) flashes for slave fill-in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I can only speak to query #1 - the second lens depends on what you'd like to shoot to a certain extent.

Personally, as soon as I was able to afford it I opted for the 20mm f1.7 - I actually picked it up from BBW on this forum about a year and a half ago.

Its sharp, has a nice focal length and decent low-light performance.

Unfortunately like a few lenses from the early m43 days, it suffers from comparatively slow AF. The 25 & 45 offer comparable low light capability, stellar image quality and much much faster AF but the 25 is out of my price range and the 45 can be a difficult focal length for daily shooting.

I'd keep an eye out for the 20. If you want wide on a budget the old 17 is under-rated.

If you see Ned online, he knows a thing or two about flash to help with your other questions.

Good luck !