New G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Phil66, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Ello all,

Just had a new G3 with kit lens, waiting for the 20mm lens to come. To be honest I'm finding it all a bit daunting. Are there any good guides out there that would help me?

I don't even understand the slider that comes up when you press the thumb wheel. It changes to red sometimes if you keep turning it.

Sorry to be a numpty but I came up from an Ixus 800 :rolleyes:

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Google to learn the basics of photography, and read the instruction manual that came with your camera. Also try
  3. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Yeah thanks, I have tried google but I was after something more specific to the G3. I was hoping someone had done a G3 user guide that was for beginners. The manual doesn't explain very much, it just tells you what the functions are.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Hi Phil,

Don't mind Schnitz.

Do you have specific questions, or do you not know what you don't know ;)

Do you know the basics of photography? Or do you just need to know how the G3 works?

There's a recent thread started on photog basics here:

My recommendation if you are truly a beginner.

Start on "P" mode, shoot in jpg, and learn how to use EV adjustments (adjusting EV +/-) That way you can focus on just one function -- EV adjustment. Once you get a feel for that, you could move on to the next item.

It's hard to know what you do or don't know already, so take a look at the referenced thread and the above, and then feedback if this is too basic, or a good way to start.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    I had a Canon Ixus before, stop laughing:wink:.

I used to mess with the exposure (I think), for instance if I was shooting through trees on a bright subject I used to turn something down because the bright object was over exposed. I also used to alter the ISO when in stately homes and not allowed to use flash. That's about it.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    OK. Great. That's a good baseline.

ISO should be available through the "Q" button (if I remember correctly -- it's been a while since I handled the G3). But you could look up "adjusting ISO" in the manual. But if you shoot on P and use auto ISO, the camera will really make that decision for you.

Learning EV adjustment is handy. One full EV is called one "stop" of exposure, and you can adjust I think +/- 3 full stops on the G3 (depending on the makers, cameras will allow 2, 3 or 5 full EV adjustment stops -- more is better!), in 1/3 increments (so, nice increments either size of zero, if the G3 allows 3 full stops).

One of the most important things to do is to learn what EV is (see that other thread I mentioned), but here's a basic bit:

Your camera "meters" the scene and tries to push everything to middle grey. This is what all cameras do. So, if you are out in a bright, snowy day, the camera will make the scene look dull grey, because it pushes the exposure of the scene to appear as middle gray (also what's called "18% gray"). If you adjust the EV to +2 whole stops, the scene will look much more like the bright snow you remembered, rather than the dull grey that you will get if you don't adjust EV.

I would concentrate on learning about EV and how to adjust EV, because that's really the first step coming off a point and shoot. The next one I would recommend is learning how to shoot in "A" mode and adjust the lens aperture yourself. Don't worry, the camera will auto-set shutter speed and ISO. If you learn EV adjustment and then aperture adjustment, you are 75% of the way to getting some good home and family snaps. After learning EV and A mode, move on to understanding the histogram(!)

As you learn, post examples at, and ask for more help. Do read the other thread, though, and follow some of the links.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I am just a bit ahead of you but not by much. I was at a book store last night and picked up a magazine called GETTING STARTED IN DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY. $14.95 but is really helpful for a newbie like me. 1 of the cameras they use as an example is the G3.
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I also looked at the book everyone recommends, Understanding Exposure and will purchase in the future, but to really learn the basics I need, this magazine is in
    such a format and written the way I can learn easier. You may hate it but I thought why not give you more options.

Also read as much as you can here on the forum and listed to these people who are so helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  9. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    Hey -

I have a bunch of experience but am new to the G3 - so I get what you are saying. I know the basics but not how to apply them to the G3 yet. The paper owner's manual is very brief and the CD one a little cumbersome. Others have recommended checking out some of the better reviews for more details on the camera - dp review, imaging resources, etc.

Stick with it! I'm finding it to be a very capable camera in P/P-shift mode. I mostly use that and exposure compensation, maybe tweak white balance a little. The IA intelligent image button is interesting too - I'll take a shot as I want then double check with that sometime. With IA you can select the "defocus" which is basically trying to simplify aperature and how much of the picture is in focus.

- Markus
  10. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
  11. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    just push the IA button for now.

Thats right, just push that IA button and the camera takes charge. You do need to learn how the camera works, and what f/ stops mean and shutter speed, and how they affect your pictures. But really, this G3 is very smart. I now take a lot of street, and because I come up on a subject sometimes with no time to set the lens the way I might think is best, I just keep on the IA button. In fact there is an author that states that this really the best way to do street photography. He has written four books on digital photography and has written several on P.S. Scott Kelby is his name. Look him up if you don't know who he is, he is most interesting.

I am a long time photographer, but my G3 is new. You have one of the best cameras out there. Read what they say about the G3 on Luminous Landscape. At the time they wrote their review on the G3 they said that it was the best m 4/3 camera to date. Some reviews feel that it is better than the GX1 because of the flip out screen and EVF. I only know that it is one heck of a great camera.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
  12. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks to everyone particularly WT21. I was starting to think I shouldn't have bought it but now you have all changed my mind.

13. RickyLee

RickyLee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Just got a G3 not sure if it's better than GF2.

But do like having the view finder! I find the touch screen not as responsive as the GF2 but having it vari angle adds flexibility.