New G3, new to m4/3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by spinwards, Feb 26, 2012.

1. spinwards

spinwards Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    I was so impressed with the gf3 I gave my wife for christmas that I decided to take the plunge myself. I ordered a G3 from uniquephoto last week while it was on sale for $500, and received the package just in time for my birthday.

I was expecting it to be a clear step up from my dated Sony A200, but I wasn't prepared for how much better it really is.

The metering is excellent, and adapts well to mixed lighting conditions. Even when it fails, the LV shows me the problem BEFORE I take the picture. The Sony usually required a bit of tweaking in LR before the exposure was correct; so far, the G3 has required very little. I may even start shooting jpeg if it can keep delivering.

When set on portrait, the colors are neutral and pleasant. I feel like the color reproduction is more faithful, although not quite as warm as the Sony/Minolta colors. It looks like I can tweak the WB if I want to warm up the colors, but I want to shoot with the defaults for a while to see how it reacts to different light sources.

The most noticeable difference between the 2 AF systems is the accuracy of the CDAF system. The Sony's AF feels snappier, but because the AF system is so inaccurate I needed to half press the shutter button several times before I felt that it had correctly acquired focus. The G3's CDAF is faster* and I feel that when it has a lock, that the subject is actually in focus the first time. The freedom to focus on any area in frame is refreshing after being confined to 9 focus points on the Sony. Hopefully that freedom will translate into more dynamic composition, but only time will tell.

The only downside to the switch is that the G3 kit lens isn't as good as the two primes I shot with the Sony. Unfortunately, Tamron doesn't make the 60/2 macro for :43:, so I may have to settle for the Leica :biggrin:. To be fair, the 14-42 is much better than the sony 18-70 kit lens, and is good enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade for the sake of image quality. I favor fast primes over zooms (even fast zooms), so I doubt that the 14-42 will get much use once I fill out my kit.

My wife was okay with the new camera purchase on the condition that I sell my a-mount lenses before I can really start using the G3, so after today I will put it back in the box and go back to the Sony. Hopefully it will only be for a week or two, because I really love the G3.

* On paper, the G3's AF speed smokes the older Sony, but the G3's CDAF dance doesn't feel as snappy as the Sony's PDAF focus lock.
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Glad you enjoying your G3, I love mine they are great cameras and with good quality lenses the picture quality is superb.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pics.

3. Oz-and-Beyond

Oz-and-Beyond New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    Spinwards, was it a G3 and 14-42 lens for $500? If so, that sounds like a great deal.
  4. spinwards

spinwards Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    Yep, the single lens kit for $499 w/ free shipping. I just checked back and it looks like the sale is still on, but they are sold out of the kits. They still have the body only for $480, but that isn't the same value as the kit.

I wonder if they are clearing out their inventory in anticipation of the OM-D?
  5. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I show the G3 kits at $599 now?

Unique is a great shop - I've been there a few times and the sales team is very helpful, low pressure. The prices are very competitive, as well.