New G1 owner.... Questions

Mustangjoey

Mu-43 Rookie
Hey guys, new to the forum and the micro 4/3 world. Just bought a G1 body brand new for 249. So I'm super excited to get into this different system here. I currently use a pentax kx and have a few different older manual focus lenses that are fun with that.

But anyways, just wanted to ask for any tips or advice for my new G1 body. From what I hear best all purpose zoom lens is 14-45 panasonic. Any other suggestions? This is kind of my "budget camera". Kind of wish I would have bought the kit with the lens now.:redface: but any other tips/suggestions from you guys? Thanks

Joey

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
1st lens

Welcome to the party!

If you're a zoom person, the 14-45 is the preferred 'normal' lens, that's what came with my G1. Many folks here swear by the 20mm f/1.7 though, which makes a very compact and sharp package with better low-light abilities. You can also just find a 14-140 lens that covers nearly all bases, but it's larger and heavier. You can also choose Olympus m4/3 lenses but then you have no image stabilization (Pana uses it in their zoom lenses, Oly is in-body stabilized = more compact lenses). Note that Olympus (and Panasonic) have some 4/3 lenses that are not :43:, those need an adaptor and some electronic functions still work (like focusing on many lens, but it's slower than a :43: native lens).

And of course, for $30 ± you can get a PK adaptor and use some of your Pentax lenses in manual-focus mode (best if they have an aperture ring, the adaptor will not work any Pentax electronics). I have a Vivitar 28-105 zoom and a Rikenon 50/1.7 that adapt nicely to the G1.. and they sure didn't cost much! Remember that the sensor size is smaller in the G1, so my 28-105 acts like a 56-210 would on a film camera.. wow a 100mm f/1.7! :cool:

Mustangjoey

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks Jim. I'm pretty excited about using my old k mount lenses on that tiny body. But also was looking forward to using this as more of an all purpose camera, my point and shoot equivalent, but with waaaay better picture quality. With my kx I use the viewfinder only, always bring a bag with lenses, etc. So I was thinking this g1 and one all purpose lens. I'll have live view, which for some shots I kind of miss, still have a viewfinder too. With fast auto focus, and dummy modes for anyone that I'm with that wants to use it. I really think this is going to be a wonderful addition.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
...I really think this is going to be a wonderful addition.
I thought so too when I bought the G1 + 14-45mm in Aug. 2009. You might be in for the same experience as mine. Meanwhile my Nikon D300s is seldomly used these days, the G1 quickly became my main camera and now the GH2 pushes use of the D300s to very low levels. I'm selling my 11-16mm wide-angle for the D300s now, I'll take the GH2 + 7-14mm as a wide-angle option in my bag instead when using the D300s, it's about the same size and weight...

The only thing that keeps me from selling the DSLR outfit, is the fact that the D300s still is far superior to the GH2 for action photography.

Mustangjoey

Mu-43 Rookie
Yeah, I think the g1 won't be able to beat out my kx in low light capabilities. But it seems like for everything else it is a very worthy camera. Can't wait to get it and start shooting.

jl-lb.ms

Mu-43 Regular
The only thing that keeps me from selling the DSLR outfit, is the fact that the D300s still is far superior to the GH2 for action photography.

Good to hear this. I just got a G1 and I don't do any action photography. Only deficits I've seen on the G1 is some noise and quickly blows highlights. Otherwise, wonderful IQ.

Latest threads

Top Bottom