1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New FW updates for the E-M1 & E-M5 II!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Wish they'd improve antishock on the E-M5m1!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

WOW. For once the E-M1 isn't losing all its settings on update.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    So there was an issue with the last firmware update and Ibis?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
  7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Those updating directly from earlier FW versions should
    NOTE THAT
    SETTINGS WILL NOT BE RETAINED
    SETTINGS ARE RETAINED ONLY IF UPDATING FROM 4.0 to 4.1
    Regards
    Rob

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. wjiang

I never noticed problems with IBIS but the crappy C-AF video behaviour noted by another member seems to have gone away...

9. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I had noticed the IBIS wasn't as *dependable* on the EM5 II as it was on my old EM5. It was certainly better when it worked, but I had been a little surprised by the number of wide-moderate angle shots that were blurry at speeds near 1/30 - 1/50 when I knew those would've been stabilised on the EM5.

Looking foward to seeing if the firmware improves this.

On the other hand my EM5 had the IBIS completely seize several times, leaving the sensor stuck in whatever weird angle it had last moved the IBIS into, so...

10. Earl Fleck

Earl Fleck New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2015
    EarlFleck
    Hi, OK, so I need to update my EM1 to firmware 4.1. I have the Olympus updater, took my memory card out, connected my EM1 to my Mac with the Olympus USB cord, pushed OK for Storage but when I click on Next on the updater panel all I get is the message "failed to communicate with the camera." I've checked the connections and they are firm. I've repeatedly turned the camera on and off. Each time I get the same failure message. What am I missing? I've updated twice before (to 3.1 and 4.0), now I can't get my EM1 and the Mac to communicate. ?? Earl

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you recently upgrade to El Capitan? If so, you'll have to get the newest version of the Olympus Updater that is El Capitan compatible.

If you have Olympus Viewer 3 installed, you can run the auto update feature to upgrade both apps.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Earl Fleck

Earl Fleck New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2015
    EarlFleck
    I did upgrade to El Capitan and forgot to update the updater. Did so and have updated my EM1 to 4.1. Thanks for the help. Earl

• Like Like x 1
  13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sometimes the settings are retained, sometimes they are not. There's an easy rule to figure out when they will be retained or not.

If the change is in major version number, e.g. from 3.x to 4.x, they won't be retained. If the change is in the minor part of the version number, e.g. from x.0 to x.1 or x.1 to x.2 and so on, the settings will be retained.

So, when you upgraded from 2.x to 3.0 or 3.x, or 3.x to 4.0, you lost your settings. When you upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 you retain your settings, and you will retain them going from 4.1 to 4.2 if we get an update to 4.2. When they move from version 4.x to version 5.0 we will lose our settings again and when we get upgrades within version 5, we will retain our settings.

It's easy to know what will happen. It isn't "for once". We keep our settings with every minor upgrade and we lose them with every major upgrade.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. ice29

ice29 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Europe
    did some IS tests in the room with E-M5 II and the new firmware and it seems all the IS inconsistencies I had before are gone! now I can get pretty much every shot sharp down to 1/5 @ 40mm and to 1/10 @ 100mm - great!

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Always late to the party...and here I was thinking the inconsistent IBIS had something to do with me ... flashed to 4.1 and all those inconsistencies have gone away.

Actually, it appears that only updates which affect the menu tree cause a reset of settings. If there is no change to the menu tree, no settings get wiped out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. wjiang

Great observation, that makes some sense!

17. ice29

ice29 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Europe
    don't know if this is related to this firmware or E-M5 II IBIS is failing here ... today I could not get a sharp picture with IBIS turned on at 1/5 or lower (12mm FL, so 24mm effective, success rate 0%, all blurred). To my surprise if I turned IBIS off I could get a 100% sharp picture most of the time (success rate maybe 70%).
    With normal daily shutter speeds no problem with IS... Really strange, need to test it more... Would be second annoying thing that happened in the beginning of my US trip :( (Olympus 9-18mm, m43 version, died yesterday, with "Please check the status of the lens" showing all the time, the lens was bought in September 2015 and barely used)

18. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Clean your lens and camera electrical contacts with a soft clean cloth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I still have the original fw. I haven't really noticed any issues with my ibis but will get blurry pictures or missed focus. Should I update. I'm only really interested in the flat profile and quicker start up.

Anyone else noticed better success rate while taking pictures, but didn't think there was a problem with their ibis?

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you haven't updated the Firmware yet & you're having issues, then definitely update, BUT.....if there are lens issues then definitely clean the contacts on lens & body or else there is a chance the lens FW update could get corrupted which means the lens won't work afterwards (without workshop reloading of FW).