1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New FW for 14-140

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boyzo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Yeah, and I'm assuming if I have a PL1 I can just have the 14-140 OIS on it and plug into Olympus Updater and it should find and load it automatically no?

3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Just noticed that the firmware updates are not the first. I have never updated the firmware in my GF1 or the lenses. How or where do I find the older firmware updates?

Thanks,

Konrad

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The newer update includes the older - you can skip steps

5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Thanks for the info.

6. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I installed the update on my 14-140, which I use with a GH-1. No problems to report, but I didn't notice a any huge difference in performance. It might be achieving focus lock a little quicker now, but not by a hug margin. My main issue with AF while shooting video, that the lens hunts a bit before settling on a new focus setting, is still there. So if you use AF while recording you don't get a smooth transition from the original focal length to the new one.

I do wonder if the GH-2, with the ability to select focus points on the touch screen, will do a better job of this. If not, "pulling focus" is still going to be a manual endeavor.

7. Timm

Timm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I have a GH1 and the 14-140 and have never updated the firmware. I am running a Mac, I downloaded the packages for each, after I connect the camera to the computer via USB what do I need to do?

8. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Timm,

For both camera and lens firmware, the procedure is:

1) Charge your camera battery up to 100%. The camera will not update firmware if the battery is only partially charged or is running off of AC power, as the consequences if the firmware update is interrupted by power loss are bad (e.g. unusable camera or lens).

2) Format your SD card in the camera.

3) Download the latest version of the firmware for either the camera or lens from the Panasonic website. Since you have a Mac, make sure you use the Mac download option. The firmware will download into your default downloads directory (typically the 'Downloads' folder at the top level of your user account) and be automatically uncompressed.

3) Since you appear to be connecting the camera to the computer rather than using an SD card reader, connect up your camera (with the fully charged battery and freshly formatted SD card) to your Mac using the USB cable. Power-up the camera, and if it prompts you to ask if it should connect to the computer over USB answer 'yes' (I always use an SD card reader and so don't know if the camera will ask or just automatically connect). You should see a 'removable media' icon appear in the Mac's Finder.

4) Copy the firmware file to the SD card in the camera by dragging-and-dropping the firmware file from your Downloads directory to the removable media icon that appeared in the finder.

5) 'Eject' the camera (by clicking the eject arrow next to the removable media icon in a finder window). Once the removable media icon has disappeared from the Finder, power off the camera and disconnect the USB cable.

6) Power the camera back on.

7) Hit the 'playback' button on the back of the camera.

At this point, assuming that you've successfully copied the firmware onto the SD card and that the firmware has a higher version number than what the camera or lens is already running, the camera will prompt you (via the viewfinder or LCD screen) asking if you want to 'level up' the firmware. Answer 'yes'.

The firmware on the camera or lens will be updated, and the camera will return to normal operating mode once the firmware update is complete. I'd suggest only attempting to do one firmware update (either camera or lens) at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Timm

Timm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Thanks for the detailed instructions ajm80031,

I assumed it was required to have the camera connected to the computer to do the update. I always use the built in card reader on my iMac and would have had to dig up the cable that came with it.