1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Fuji MF mirrorless

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by TNcasual, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. dlentini

dlentini Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2015
    The same people discussing all these cameras?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    The people who have money, and the people who think they have money?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    A sub $5k medium format camera looks like a deal, until you add up all the cost of the lenses. At the end, are those extra thousands of dollars really worth the extra resolution and 1 stop better dr ? Unless you're one of those handful of people in town printing posters for the outside wall of an airport...

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't see the value in a $4500 "baby" medium format camera if it doesn't produce real-world results that are better than $3000 FF cameras.

The sensor in the GFX 50R will be 5 years old when it's released. It is simply not providing a competitive benefit compared to the other options on the market.

It has no resolution advantage vs. the best FF sensors on the market (50MP); little to no dynamic range advantage vs. the best FF sensors on the market (which offer native ISO 64); the noise advantages in low light are totally mitigated by the slow medium format lenses; and its read-out speeds are very slow, restricting its use in a variety of applications.

When the next generation of medium format cameras carrying the Sony IMX461 (BSI, 100MP, and 6 fps @ 14bit readout) arrive there will be a legitimate technical reason to use these "mini" medium format 44x33 cameras.

But those next generation cameras are definitely not going to cost only $4500! Maybe double that?

I can maybe understand investing in a 50R as a less expensive back-up body to ease your way into the system if you expect to buy a future "GFX 100S."

But as a primary or only body? You're basically just saying that you care more about the idea of shooting medium format than the real technical advantages of shooting medium format. It seems a bit...poser-ish.

I mean, that's fine. People find all kinds of intangible reasons to love luxury goods. The cult of Leica is very much a similar phenomenon.

But if you want a high-quality 44x33 camera and the results are what matter to you, why not just get a lightly-used 645Z for $3500? The vast majority of them are going to have spent their entire lives coddled in air-conditioned studios hooked up to Capture One with a tether cable.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    MF in RF style? :hmmm:

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I think Fuji is trying to make the case for having an only Fuji pairing of APSC and MF. Having a more compact option makes sense with that in mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Mu-43 Top Veteran

Texas Leica.

Popular camera.

pt-FujiGSW690III-01.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Here's the real RF MF.

Just don't understand why Fuji didn't decide to style it based on this one, instead...

omega_200.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

First 2 reasons that come to mind:

1. Ugliest camera I've ever seen
    2. Not a Fuji

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    I always had this impression where Fuji (aps or mf products) seems 1-2 steps late in their offerings instead of 1-2 steps ahead like Panasonic and Olympus.

How late? For example, offering a touchscreen lcd with their X-T2 only in...2016? Which my GH2 already had in 2011.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    My bad joke didn't come across very well.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    The Fuji line is going down an interesting path. The XT-3 seems great but is missing a few things like Ibis and flippy screen.

You CAN get Ibis but only in the Xh-1 cousin.

There's talk that there won't be an Xpro3 , rather the GFX-R becomes the rangefinder-like option. I'm not sure thats going to fly, the Xpro line is beloved of many. Will the Xpro2 stay in production? If so, that's arguably 3 "flagship " models and then the GFX-R not far above that either.

14. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No, it was fine. Made me snort at least!

15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    But the sensor is so tiny in FF cameras compared to the almight MF! (I thought it was all about the size) :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    For the great majority, cameras are just toys. He who has the most toys wins. Logic & reason has very little to do with it. I have 4 motorcycles. Who in their right mind would own 4 motorcycles, when you can only ride one? At a time. What a waste of money. Whatever makes you happy bloke. Whatever makes you happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason

4 motorcycles is sheer insanity! I, however, have a perfectly logical 3 motorcycles.

#I'dOwnMoreIfICouldAffordThem.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Only $4,500, with $2k lenses? SIGN ME UP!!!

19. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio
    M Ferencz
    Fuji should just go FF and stop this nonsense. The current lenses can be fitted for it. Instead they have to create around it which is a fatal error.

20. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Absolutely. $$ for gram, it's got to be the bargain of the century. A truly portable MF camera, with usable AF, & a half reasonable selection of affordable lenses, this early in its life cycle. Love what they're doing. Nothing else out there like it.
    Could be tempted to sell one of my motorcycles ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.