New from WV, USA

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey everyone. I'm a new member from Wild, Wonderful WV, USA. I'd introduce myself with a pic, but I haven't received my camera yet. I just ordered a low shutter count OM-D E-M5 on eBay, and it should be here in a few days. I've been eyeing the E-M5 for months, and finally found a near mint one at a price I found palatable. While I very much enjoy my cameras, I also prefer to buy them used or NOS at bargain prices.

I've been a member of sister site talkemount for a couple of years. My main camera lately has been a NEX-6. Great camera, and the only thing lacking in it is weather sealing. I owned a Pentax K-30 for about 10 months. It was an excellent camera, and the weather sealing was nice, but I really preferred the NEX's size and controls, so I sold the K-30. CameraSize.com shows the NEX-6 and E-M5 are very close in size.

I imagine there will be times I carry both the E-M5 and NEX-6 with different lenses to avoid field swapping. I prefer adapted manual lenses, and I've ordered an adapter to use my Pen F lenses on the E-M5. Eventually, I'll get a weather sealed M43 lens, but that's down the road a bit. I've done a lot of research on the E-M5, and the general opinion seems to be that the image quality is comparable to an APS-C camera. I'm looking forward to finding out for myself.

Tony

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
Tony,

Welcome to the forums. I bought my E-M5 from a member here a couple months ago and so far I really like it. I've only used M4/3 gear since the beginning of the year when I bought the Panasonic GF5 on eBay which I mated to a Minolta MD adapter and various MD lenses I already had. Later I picked up an Olympus E-PL3 with the two basic zooms (14-42/40-150) locally through a CL ad. I used the legacy glass less often but plenty still. The E-M5 is miles better than both in handling and image quality especially in low light. The image quality is on-par with APS-C 24MP sensors from Nikon D5200 (which I also own) and D7100 (which a couple of friends own) in most respects. Now I shoot mostly with the AF glass - Sigma 19mm, Oly 45, 12-50, and 40-150. I still use the PL3 with the legacy glass for the most part.

My gripes about the E-M5 are kind of silly: The squishy control pad keys and the innumerable times it has caused me to select the wrong thing or simply kick out of the menus and the eye-cup falling off and getting lost as it does not have enough tension to hang on. I found the EP-14 eye-cup from the E-M10 camera fits tighter but I still managed to lose one of the two I bought for it. Keeping the kit flash on helps keep the eye-cup in place but its adds it's own bit of weight and bulk.

I hope you enjoy the E-M5 and find your way in the widening world of Micro Four Thirds.

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
... I hope you enjoy the E-M5 and find your way in the widening world of Micro Four Thirds.
Thanks Felipe. I am very much enjoying the E-M5. So far I've used it only with legacy lenses, but I found a very good deal on an Olympus 14-42 II R, so I ordered it. I'm eager to see how it compares to some of the legacy lenses I use.

Tony

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Welcome! One of my favorite places to vacation (especially when I was young enough to go caving :D )

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome! One of my favorite places to vacation (especially when I was young enough to go caving :D )
Thanks. We have many nice places to visit, but then, so does VA, especially along the I-81 corridor.

Tony

Latest threads

Top Bottom