1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New from WV, USA

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by tonyturley, Nov 19, 2014.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Hey everyone. I'm a new member from Wild, Wonderful WV, USA. I'd introduce myself with a pic, but I haven't received my camera yet. I just ordered a low shutter count OM-D E-M5 on eBay, and it should be here in a few days. I've been eyeing the E-M5 for months, and finally found a near mint one at a price I found palatable. While I very much enjoy my cameras, I also prefer to buy them used or NOS at bargain prices.

I've been a member of sister site talkemount for a couple of years. My main camera lately has been a NEX-6. Great camera, and the only thing lacking in it is weather sealing. I owned a Pentax K-30 for about 10 months. It was an excellent camera, and the weather sealing was nice, but I really preferred the NEX's size and controls, so I sold the K-30. CameraSize.com shows the NEX-6 and E-M5 are very close in size.

I imagine there will be times I carry both the E-M5 and NEX-6 with different lenses to avoid field swapping. I prefer adapted manual lenses, and I've ordered an adapter to use my Pen F lenses on the E-M5. Eventually, I'll get a weather sealed M43 lens, but that's down the road a bit. I've done a lot of research on the E-M5, and the general opinion seems to be that the image quality is comparable to an APS-C camera. I'm looking forward to finding out for myself.

Tony

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! :thumbup:

3. tonyturley

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks Bob.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  4. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Where abouts in wv? I'm there too. Welcome.

5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Welcome and enjoy you "new" camera.

6. tonyturley

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks Brian. Scott Depot, between Charleston and Huntington.
    Thanks Dan.

7. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    Tony,

Welcome to the forums. I bought my E-M5 from a member here a couple months ago and so far I really like it. I've only used M4/3 gear since the beginning of the year when I bought the Panasonic GF5 on eBay which I mated to a Minolta MD adapter and various MD lenses I already had. Later I picked up an Olympus E-PL3 with the two basic zooms (14-42/40-150) locally through a CL ad. I used the legacy glass less often but plenty still. The E-M5 is miles better than both in handling and image quality especially in low light. The image quality is on-par with APS-C 24MP sensors from Nikon D5200 (which I also own) and D7100 (which a couple of friends own) in most respects. Now I shoot mostly with the AF glass - Sigma 19mm, Oly 45, 12-50, and 40-150. I still use the PL3 with the legacy glass for the most part.

My gripes about the E-M5 are kind of silly: The squishy control pad keys and the innumerable times it has caused me to select the wrong thing or simply kick out of the menus and the eye-cup falling off and getting lost as it does not have enough tension to hang on. I found the EP-14 eye-cup from the E-M10 camera fits tighter but I still managed to lose one of the two I bought for it. Keeping the kit flash on helps keep the eye-cup in place but its adds it's own bit of weight and bulk.

I hope you enjoy the E-M5 and find your way in the widening world of Micro Four Thirds.

8. tonyturley

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks Felipe. I am very much enjoying the E-M5. So far I've used it only with legacy lenses, but I found a very good deal on an Olympus 14-42 II R, so I ordered it. I'm eager to see how it compares to some of the legacy lenses I use.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Welcome! One of my favorite places to vacation (especially when I was young enough to go caving :D  )

10. tonyturley

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks. We have many nice places to visit, but then, so does VA, especially along the I-81 corridor.

Tony

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.