1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New from Oz

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by bilzmale, Mar 2, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello from the land down under. I am in the process of transitioning to MFT having got my E-P2 last week. I have been a regular contributor on the main Four Thirds forums and some might recognise my user name. I had built up a lot of 4/3 gear but was not using it due to size and weight issues. It is hard to be inconspicuous at times and I hope MFT will get me shooting more again.

Looking forward to getting to know you better over the weeks ahead.

2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Welcome. I live on the eastern side of the island.

I got my E-P1 for exactly the same sort of reasons you bought yours.

Its a great lot of fun and look forward to seeing you post some images here.

Cheers

PeterB666

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill, and welcome to our community here...

I'd appreciate your thoughts and any comments on the series of brief config videos we did for the Oly Pen here.

Not a definitive guide - more the beginnings of a discussion where we can share experience and ideas.

Cheers

Brian

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Bill !
    MFT means More fun Together.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

• Like Like x 1
  5. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  6. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    spain
    Wellcome to the forum Bill. A nice and friendly place:smile:

7. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

Welcome, Bill. Hope you like it here!

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome to our forum, Bill!

9. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome Bill!

10. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome Bill to this very friendly forum. Good discussions, friendly critique and lots of experts to sort things out. I moved down to the mu-4/3rds for exactly the same reason as you. Size, Weight and portability with lots of quality built in. I hope to be posting images soon...as soon as winter leaves us, but then yours is just beginning.

11. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for the welcome folks - Bill G how do you find the 45-200? I'm torn between it (cheaper) and the Panny 14-140.

12. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Bill,
    great to hear from a fellow OZ. I use a G1, 14-45, 45-200 and 20/1.7 (all Pano). I'm still finding my way around, but adore the format. We obviously are just at the beginning of a great new era in photography. There are so many people on this forum talking about resurrecting old lenses to use on this new format. For me I got rid of the old, I'm in it for the new.
    Cheers
    DownUnderDog (AKA DUD)

13. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Good to hear from you DUD - how do you like the 45-200? Panny definitley has the edge on lenses as of now.

14. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have the Panasonic 45-200 together with the 14-42 Olympus and 20mm Panasonic.

I took my kit to Wings Over the Illawarra historic air show last weekend and gee I would have loved to have the 14-140 instead although there were occassions where the 200mm reach was used (quite a bit). The hassle of changing lenses was a real pain. Normally I don't shoot with such variety and it isn't an issue.

I wouldn't rush out to buy the 14-140 Panasonic. It is a great lens but Olympus will hav its 14-150mm f/4-5.6 out in a couple of months. With a USD price of $599.99 it will be substantially less than the Panasonic lens.

15. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Patience is not one of my virtues but the Oly version may be worth the wait. Panny 14-140's are coming on to the used market but are close to new prices.

16. Bill Gordon

Bill..me again...Bill Gordon....take a look at this thread and then take the plunge..https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=300

17. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

That did it Bill. Some great images there. Have ordered a 45-200. Now I have to change my sig again. :smile:

18. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Hello and welcome to group. A great place to come to share, and spend some qualitly time "and no egos" , yet anyways....

Cheers

19. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day Bill, I'm aussie as well. Good to see you. I've been to Perth and it's a very photogenic place in my opinion.

iconindustries

20. Bill Gordon

Hi icon....I am not from Oz, rather from up north in Canada. The other (many) Bill is from Perth in the land of Oz. Good to hear from you tho' and enjoy this forum...it is the best!!