New from Des Moines, Iowa. Looking for a switch, maybe

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by sethdsm, Aug 9, 2014.

1. sethdsm

sethdsm Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

I'm new to m43. I am actually in the process of deciding whether to sell my aps-c gear (sony a77, sigma 70-200 2.8, sony 16-50 2.8) in order to finance my growing interest in m43. Maybe it's a crazy idea, I don't know. I owned a NEX 6 for a while, but sold that to purchase an RX100 (which I love and isn't going anywhere mainly due to the great image quality in such a tiny package). I guess what is drawing me to m43 is really gorgeous bodies (I'm eyeing the gx7) and the great selection of prime lenses. Also, I think it will be an easier entry point into wildlife photography, which is an interest of mine.

I'll admit, I have a pretty good sony setup above, and really have no complaints about my gear. I've got a case of gear lust going on and I'm hoping someone can either A) make me see the folly of my idea or B) confirm my desire to make the switch :)

Thanks! I look forward to participating in the community and learning about what seems like a great system.
  2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I made the switch from Canon APS-C to reduce the weight I lug around. I have the GX7 and it's about the perfect travel and "carryaround" camera but for wildlife work I'd suggest the GH4 due to it's much improved EVF. Look for the Hummingbird footage in the video section for a sample of what the GH4 will do.
  3. sethdsm

sethdsm Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks, Bif. I'll check it out. I was under the impression that the GH4 wasn't as much of a stills powerhouse as a video powerhouse? I know that's all relative, as it still takes great stills, though. Another draw of the m43 system is the size. I think the GH4 is likely nearly the size of my current A77.
  4. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I see the major advantage of the mu43 is the smaller lenses when compared to their full-frame equivalent. The following website is good for comparing a wide range of cameras and lens sizes:,525.336,ha,t

I have tried a wide range of mu43 cameras and I found the models that resembled small DSLRs to be the most comfortable to hold. The GX-7 is small, but it does have a decent grip. If you were tempted to adopt mu43 I would recommend holding a few bodies first.