1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New from Chengdu

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by raschmidt, Nov 28, 2014.

1. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    Hello everyone,

My name is Rob, I live in Chengdu, which is located in southwest China(really its central), I work for a video game company here but I like to get out and take photos in my free time.

I recently purchased an E-M1 with the 12-40mm in September. I had previously only used Canon APS-Cs (550D and 100D) but i found myself looking for something smaller. Originally I had been under the assumption that bigger sensor means better quality, but I have been shocked at how much better my E-M1 is than my Canons in every respect. I am really loving the 4/3 ecosystem since I have about as good of a choice of lenses as with Canon and a far better choice between camera bodies. Ive also been very pleased with the durability of the E-M1 so far, but Im really itching to buy a GH4 and/or GX7.

I'll try and post some of my photos on the share section of the forum soon :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Welcome to the forum!
    It's no surprise that you like your new M43 gear. I'm amazed at how far digital photography technology has progressed in 16 years. I still compare the image quality of my E-M10 to my previous Canon 35mm cameras, film and optics. There's no reciprocity failure during long exposures, I can change ISO on the fly and capture images that took medium format film cameras with ruinously expensive fast lenses to get close to in image quality. The ability to modify color and contrast from the comfort of my computer station is the icing on the cake. I do miss messing around in the darkroom sometimes, though.
    I look forward to seeing your photos.

3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Welcome, please post some of your pictures! The EM-1 and 12-40 are a great combo!

4. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    I've actually found the 17mm f/1.8 to be my go-to lens for the E-M1, I rarely use the 12-40mm because I don't like the size and weight. The 17mm is small so it's easy to put in a bag and carry around, but I can still get most of the shots I want. I've been looking at the 42.5mm Panasonic and 75mm Olympus for a good portrait lens, right now I've been using the Sigma DN 60mm, which is a great lens for the price but I'd like something a bit quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I find that for my shots, I need wider than 17, so I can't wait for the 7-14 2.8

6. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Welcome, Rob!

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum!

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Welcome aboard and glad to see more from China:smile:

9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Rob what part of town do you live in? I used to live on Zijingdonglu. Miss living there; Sichuan has some of the friendliest people in China IMHO.

10. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Spent a lot of time in Sichuan. Would love to settle down there. :)