New forum user titles and avatar requirements

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    After some discussion, we've decided to revise the old user titles (member, senior member, leading member, etc).

Here's the new user title breakdown by # of forum posts:

User Title (Minimum Posts*)
    • New to Mu-43 (0)
    • Mu-43 Rookie (10)
    • Mu-43 Regular (25)
    • Mu-43 Veteran (200)
    • Mu-43 Top Veteran (500)
    • Mu-43 All-Pro** (1000)
    • Mu-43 Hall of Famer** (2000)
    • Mu-43 Legend** (5000)
    *Buy and Sell posts don't count

**Can use custom user title

Avatars are now reserved for members with 100 or more posts and donors. If anyone sees a member asking why they can't upload an avatar, please help spread the word about this new requirement.

The other change made is that donors now have a separate designation of "Donor" listed under their user title rather than a single designation of "Site Supporter" replacing their user title.

• Like Like x 7
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    This is why we all love this place.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Gary, you're about to be Legendary.

5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Amin, I've never understood the green gems that show up on the right side of the profile page. I wonder if you can explain them. I know it says something when you rollover your mouse there.

Can't say I miss the stars as I never understood what they were for either. I think not having them makes for a cleaner-looking interface. :smile:

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oops, I forgot to mention - we* got rid of those stars too :smile:. Stars were based strictly on post count, so they were redundant.

Those gems correlate with "reputation", which in turn is primarily based on number of "thanks" received, where each thank = 1 reputation point. Members also have the ability to give or take away rep points from one another by clicking the [​IMG] button in a post, but hardly anyone ever does that. Some sites show reputation and/or # thanks received in the postbit (where post counts are displayed), but we* decided against that here for now.

*These decisions were discussed a bit amongst the mods as well as some members, and I tried to go with the overall opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thanks for the info :)

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Amin - did the Site Supporter part not get changed yet? I don't see it under anyone's user title.

I like the new user titles. The old titles were a little confusing when I first joined up here; I wasn't sure at first if they reflected # of posts only or some kind of reputation/karma score due to the titles like "Senior", "Leading" etc.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's been changed. You might not be seeing it because of cache issues. Also, I just now changed it for donors with > 1000 posts.

That was the main reason for the change. We have some 200 post members who show leadership and some 1000 post members who don't, so the old titles weren't very accurate. The new ones aren't strictly accurate either (it's not like posts make someone a "pro"), but I think they're an improvement for sure. Plus they're a little more interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yep, I see it now - good deal, thanks Amin and the mods team for continually working on making this site a great place to hang out, and keeping it that way :thumbup:

• Like Like x 3
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Been there for a while, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Less than 100 posts away from being a Top Veteran! I have a new goal in life.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sweet just customized my title! :wink:

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I know there were a number of options discussed - I like the final result. Good choices! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Legend: a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits

Did you know that Gary once shot a double-stroke Leica M3 at 10fps? :smile:

• Like Like x 4
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That was a single stroke.

• Like Like x 3
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    It appears Nic that you are there!

18. I know...there must be something wrong with the system.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... it is obviously all about quantity not quality.

• Like Like x 4
  20. That's my guess.