New forum member says hi

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Optical Thrombosis, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Hello all - very pleased to have hit on this forum, and hopefully learn a few things. I am the proud owner of the Pen EP-1. As an Olympus user since OM's and Trip's, an early adopter of the 4/3rds system (2x E-1 bodies), I could easily be classified as biased!

To be honest, the E-P1 was the first camera in a long time to engender lust! I just had to have it - it looked and felt so...right. And retro. And solid. And on and on I could go (as my wife would say). I won't tell you how much I paid for it, but suffice to say being good friends with my local camera store and the Olympus rep paid off!!

I know the reviews said the Panasonic GF1 was just a teensy bit better, etc, but the GF1 left me cold, the E-P1 made me all rosy eyed and out came the wallet. The performance observed to date is more than good enough for me, and in body stabilisation - with my shaky hands, a must.

So I have the 14-42mm - what next? the 17mm f2.8? or the Pany 20mm f1.7? Or the Oly 50mm f2 Macro on the 4/3 adapter? I'm a kid in sweet shop!

Oh yes, I sacrificed a Canon 5D for this - good decision I think, the 5D is WAY overrated. I know. I had one!

Look forward to hearing from you all!

2. lori B

lori B Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    san francisco, ca
    hi optical thrombosis (optical thrombosis???) and welcome. i am just a few days into the forum myself but finding wonderful threads everywhere i turn and am amused by your description about falling in love with the EP-1. i am an early G1 adopter (bought one of the first three that arrived at B&H) and felt similarly woozy.
    i've just acquired a 20mm f1.7 and i cannot put it down. i almost took it to bed with me the first night but was cautioned against it by someone i consider wise!
    wishing well from a san francisco hillside.

3. Hi Lori - I suppose i should explain the handle - Optical Thrombosis = Clot behind the Lens!

You're in love with the 20mm f1.7 - sounds like a recommendation!

Good to talk, thanks for the welcome.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome aboard...
    get the 20 & the 17...with the finder...
    then your ready for.... whatever.....

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi OT, thanks for the intro - I know how you feel about the E-P1, you've found the right place here... we're the friendliest bunch you'll find on the net :friends:

I'd go for the 20mm f1.7 next... it's a beauty.

Cheers

Brian

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Greetings and welcom aboard, Optical T.!:biggrin:

7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member