New Forum and EPL1 user

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BobbyD, Aug 5, 2012.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Hello, My name is Bobby I'm new to the fourm and a new owner of an EPL1. I've been a Canon DSLR shooter for years, But have always had a compact of some type. My current compact is a Canon S95 and now an Olympus EPL1. I like the S95 ok and it's very good for just general snap shoots. But it just doesn't come close to my Canon bodies. I've been looking at the micro four thirds format for a while now and reading all the post on this site. I really wanted to try one, but couldn't justify $700 just to try out the format. There was no way I would sell a Canon body to fund a micro four thirds camera. Well my local Wolf camera store was going out of business and they had an EPL1 for $200. Well, I could no longer resist. I've only took a couple of shoots with the EPl1 so far and what I've seen is really good. It I had a pro lens I think it would be better than my 60Ds. The only thing it doesn't do well is sports shooting maybe the EP3 or the forth coming EP4 would be better for that. Is it possible the micro four thirds could replace my DLSR bodies? Well, maybe, time will tell. But it will be fun to test the ideal with my new EPL1.
  2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Hi, Bobby EPL-1 is a good start if you want to try the m4/3 and if you don't mind P&S operational like. While most of the time the latest m4/3 in term of image quality could compete with mid level DSLR the general consensus are it still behind for action sport but I'm sure sooner or later it will catch up. I suggest you try the pancake lens such as 20mm or 14mm if you looking for affordable lens with quality result, the 45mm also recommended.
  3. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    It sounds like we share the same excitement over the EPL-1. I couldn't resist any longer when the combo went to under $200. Great entry into this new format!
  4. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I bought a e-pl1 refurb for 199 and was som impressed I bought a 2nd e-pl1 refurb body for 129, both from Cameta Camera. This little camera has shortcomings, clumsly controls, slow autofocus in comparision to the other 4/3rds models, but in spite of it all, it is a 'LEAN MEAN PICTURE TAKING MACHINE'.........

for the price the value is just tremendous, and will draw many people into the micro 4/3rds realm, as it did me....
  5. kuo34

kuo34 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2012
    Valdosta, GA
    I'd been eyeing entry level DSLRs when I caught an E-PL1 deal. I'm more than happy with the system, and it's convinced me to pick up an E-P3 (more customizable buttons, dials, and faster autofocus).
  6. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Totally agree with you.
    I love my little e-pl1 and its little quirks.
    As a matter of fact I have gotten very proficient with it and the menu settings. :biggrin:
    And the picture quality is just outstanding.