1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Flickr Interface in the Works

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Luckypenguin, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    And no doubt it will use 50x the bandwidth and take 10 times longer to load, as with every website revamp in this age.

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    well I LOVE flickr, but the website has never been good looking and I've always thought the photos were too small on the page. While I generally resist change for change's sake. this has GOT to be an improvement. And I hope Ned's prediction is wrong.

3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Finally they wised up and got rid of the white background in favor of gray.

4. marcinski

marcinski New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2012
    User Styles script will deal with that for you.

Marcin

5. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    I like flickr a lot, but there is definitely room for improvement. Just hope they go the right way...As their main goal should be to get people staying on as long as possible and viewing as many pages as possible, it would be hoped that they will streamline things and make it faster....
    But wait, they're owned by a huge company whose main goal is to generate profits. Ads on every page?:frown::mad:

6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Good for them. Some of you might have gotten accustomed, but I just joined flickr recently and it's like...

~~~~~~~~~~~~THE INTERNET TIMELINE~~~~~~~~~~~
    []Al Gore..........[]birth of internet............[]AOL online....[]Flickr ........[]MySpace.........[]Facebook................. []Present Day

• Like Like x 1
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I dumped flickr for SmugMug a year and a half ago. It's about time they've updated. Way too much wasted white space, navigation stinks, and getting EXIF data was way too hard (taking me to ANOTHER page just to view EXIF? No thanks).

Hopefully the revamp will be nice. But I don't think I'll be going back. Lots of good options nowadays.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Now that Apple is dropping their Gallery, I need to move my family pics to something else. Maybe Flickr now (never liked it before)

9. A few things I think Flickr could change on their own site

- Images @ 800 pixels rather than 640.
    - Basic exif displayed (if available) on the image view page
    - Customising of your first "Photostream" page to be more of a profile page.

As for viewing images on flickr in alternate and better ways, what you want probably already exists here:

The App Garden on Flickr

10. They've now made the changes to viewing the list of your contacts' images. Nothing earth shattering, but an improvement over the old array of small thumbnails.

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    the question is can the move quick enough to keep their users. The new CEO so far seems promising, but I'm hesitant. I feel like I'm better off just hosting my own page using smugmug as a backend since I already put everything up there as a backup basically. The single view is painful as is the photostream. But flickr does have one of the better lightbox modes of all the sites out there I think.

12. Fluidr.com is my favourite way to view flickr images. You can view "explore", photostreams, groups, sets, searches etc in a continuous stream on a black background, choice of small, medium, or large images, basic exif info, title and description, and can add comments and favourites from this view. THIS is what the flickr interface should be IMO.

The organisation of photos in a flickr account is also something the user should keep in mind if they are using it as some kind of portfolio. If I find a photographer with 1000 images in their photostream and no sets or collections, finding something I might like is a crapshoot.

13. OMG! I just noticed that when you go to grab the HTML or BB code for an image there is now the extra option of choosing a medium sized image at 800 pixels wide. Happy freakin' days!

14. I think this only just changed today. Default image view size seems to have been bumped up to 800 pixels instead of 640.

15. AmstelBright

AmstelBright Mu-43 Regular

This new layout is called "fluid" - it matches your browser size.

That sounds good in theory, but unfortunately people have noted that it messes up portrait photos and causes a bad page layout for square and small photos. Plus, there are reports of blurriness. See this forum thread.

Apparently, Flickr doesn't do beta testing... But I think the changes could be nice if implemented properly.

• Like Like x 1