1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New firmware v1.1 for EPL5 and EPM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aidanw, Dec 22, 2012.

1. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
  2. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Has image stabilisation always been called "S-IS"? Well it is now..

And some quick tests late show the same level of detail at 1/100s with IS enabled or disabled. Not sure if improvement or just placebo.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Where did you see the term "S-IS"?

4. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Have not updated yet and mine is also labeled S-IS.

Lee

5. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I'm not going to update to v1.1 for my e-pm2 since I do not use such non-communicable lenses, are you?

6. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    It has always been S-IS on these two newest Pen's. It stands for Still IS, while M-IS stands for Movie IS.

Not sure why you are bringing this up when all the firmware is supposed to do is fix some inconsistent exposure issues with non-communicating lenses. That being said, your statement also has no real meaning without focal length information to accompany the shutter speed.

7. tipsy1956

tipsy1956 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    Penang, Malaysia
    If you have not yet update, prepare for a long wait during the updating. Olympus says it takes 2 minutes. I found it is actually very long, more like 5 minutes before it is completed!! I almost decide to stop it, but luckily I persisted, it was duly completed in 5 minutes plus. It is the longest 5 minutes for me to wait!

I haven't see any changes yet...

tipsy1956:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There are two stage to a firmware update [from Olympus]:
    1 - download the firmware from the server to the computer
    2 - update the firmware in the camera

Stop the update in the middle of phase two and you could very well brick the camera. Never interrupt a firmware update on any device.

9. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Thanks for mentioning this. It did take far longer than I'd expected, so it was nice that I knew not to worry :)

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Olympus firmware updating process is always a PIA. It can take forever, it can hang (sometimes leaving you with a functional camera, sometimes not), or it can go really smoothly. It's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

I use the body cap lens, so I should do it, but I haven't seen any messed up exposure yet, so I'm not gonna mess with it until and unless I feel the need.

-Ray

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I did the update since I use the Samyang fisheye. It took a while to download the update, but not long to flash the camera. I don't worry much when updating firmware since I have very stable computers to do it from, and that is critical. If the computer has a glitch during the update, the camera can be bricked. This is the great weakness of the Olympus update method: it depends on the stability of unknown equipment. When updates are done from files on a memory card the only real risk is doing the flash when the camera's battery is about to die.

12. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I will be opening my new (first new camera in 8 years) E-PL5 tonight. I have box full of Pentax SMC lenses and the appropriate adapter I'm looking forward to trying. But after reading this thread, I think I'll wait on the V1.1 upgrade and see if I really need to do it. Thanks for the great info.

13. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Downloaded the Oly updater to my win 7 pc and no matter what i do it will not recognize the epl5 as being connected. ran the win 7 check and it says the software is incompatible. reinstalled and rebooted 3x and no change. Wish Olympus would get rid of this ridiculous online update system

14. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I have Win7 64bit on the PC I use for camera updates, and the Olympus software works for me. I have to set the rear screen option to Storage or something like that, on the camera (E-PL1 and E-PL5) for it to connect to the computer.

15. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    Here's an update to my Christmas Eve post re the E-PL5. I've been enjoying this camera for several months now, and compared to my Canon 10D it is a life-changing experience. I'm having a blast with the E-PL5, despite it being too small for my tastes. Anyway, I've used it with both the kit 14-42 lens and several Pentax SMC lenses, and have yet to have any problems. So, my question is, what do I gain by upgrading the firmware?

16. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    reae screen shows storage automatically. Both my systems are running win 7 64bit. I tried the program on my laptop with the same results. downloaded it several times, reinstalled, same result. I won't be doing any updates anytime soon. Pain in the a$$

17. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I don't know what else it might be, except maybe a problem with the USB cable?

18. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    More to the point, I have used several Pentax SMC lenses on my E-PL5 as well as a Tokina 70-210 (I'm amazed at the sharpness of this lens) in a Pentax mount. I have never experienced what Olympus terms "unstable exposure." However, I do not use iAuto mode or P mode - only A or M, and I set the exposure based on the shadow/highlight feature. So I don't see any reason to upgrade, particularly considering the problems others have reported.

19. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    tried the other usb cable i have for the epl2. same problem. it won't recognize the epl2 either. just found that the olympus viewer software doesn't recognize either camera. I was beginning to wonder if the camera usb port was defective but if it doesn't recognize the epl2, there is some other glitch

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Two most important things:
    1) Always start with a full battery
    2) Never interrupt the firmware update