New Firmware Updates Coming for Panasonic G9, GH5

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Regular
So is animal defect enabled with face detect? I scrolled through the menus last night and didn’t find it. I did notice that when taking a picture of my cat, it would put a focus box around the cat, but only when face detect was on.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Animal detect is part of the face detect section. But you can turn it off if you want. The difference shows up in the icon. It'll have a bird beside the headshot silhouette when its on.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Any chance the GH5 gets the High Res mode? Or is hardware required for this?
If it were the GH4 then would be a solid no, because the sensor can't move. The GH5 does have image stabilization, so the sensor is capable of moving, but I suspect it's far more complicated than that to actually make it capture all the frames with sensor shift and create a raw from that.

pcr1040

Mu-43 Veteran
G9 and Pana 100-400 mm with New Firmware added to the G9
I updated my G9 with the new firmware and while I have not made ant detailed caparison yet because of weather, the few "sanps" I have made of animals, seem to be sharper than what I was getting before the upgrade.
I was not happy with the Pana 100-400 lens at 400mm, but my eyes may be deceiving me, but the few images I made following the upgrade seem sharper. What have others found with this firmware upgrade, particularly at the long end with the Pana 100-400 lens?

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
G9 and Pana 100-400 mm with New Firmware added to the G9
I updated my G9 with the new firmware and while I have not made ant detailed caparison yet because of weather, the few "sanps" I have made of animals, seem to be sharper than what I was getting before the upgrade.
I was not happy with the Pana 100-400 lens at 400mm, but my eyes may be deceiving me, but the few images I made following the upgrade seem sharper. What have others found with this firmware upgrade, particularly at the long end with the Pana 100-400 lens?
I don't have the 100-400 but do have the Panasonic 100-300ii lens.
I too tried it out using animal mode and got pretty sharp images for my first try. I tested it out on a mockingbird. More time and I will try other shots with it.
GR

pcr1040

Mu-43 Veteran
I think I understand what is happening with the new firmware for the camera and how it works with the Pana 100-400 at maximum extension. Before the upgrade of the firmware, when I shot, say a squirrel, I depended on the AF to pick the right plane of focus. I typically used either a single spot or a diamond centered in the frame. Today after shooting another squirrel, I noticed that the eye and plane around the face seems much better than my earlier efforts. Could it be that the firmware is picking up the features I should have been focusing on in my earlier attempts? E.g., eyes and face of the animal. The following was shot this AM with my G9 and Pana 100-400 at 400mm extension. The following image is a jpg from a RAW image reduced to 30% original size using Affinity Photo. No other manipulation of image done. Shot at f6.3,1/80 sec, hand held, ISO 320. In general I have been very satisfied with image shot at less than max extension (100-300mm) with this lens. Those images IMHO all seemed to be very sharp. I only detected the issue when shooting at 400mm. Most of my images shot at between 300-and 400 were, not meeting my expectations for sharpness. I now think the images shot at 100 to 300 just had more DoF and thus appeared sharper.
P1011899Reduced 30pct.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Really happy to find that Panasonic have also fixed the existing limitation which prevented the use of exposure compensation with auto ISO when shooting video in manual exposure mode with manual adapted lenses. They don't mention it in the release notes, but it's a real win for video shooters. :)

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Finally got around to this today. I assigned the near/far to Function buttons 4 and 5. It seems odd there's no confirmation icon until you realize it's not changing a mode, it's actually doing the focusing. Sitting in my chair I put the focus box half on our Christmas Tree and half on the curtains beyond. Without moving the camera, I could focus on either one just by pushing the appropriate button. Very cool.

Animal detect worked on my sleeping dog. Put a box around the whole animal, no crosshair visible but light is low.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Not a particularly spectacular photograph, posted for reference. I made this while shooting the last week of the 52 Week Challenge, "A New Year's Wish", that being I wish my cherry trees would produce more than enough cherries for a single pie. :biggrin: I ended up going with something more selfless...

Anyway, the camera kept trying to focus on the background, I couldn't get the bud in focus. I was going to try making the focus box smaller or just do it manually, then remembered the near/far. It instantly found the bud, no problem, no hesitation. Probably not the most demanding test, but this works and is a very welcome update.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1047521_01 by telecast, on Flickr

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom