New Firmware Updates Coming for Panasonic G9, GH5

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I also shot a weathervane with the AF-ON NEAR activated. In multipoint (face detect mode) and AF-C the AF points lit up all over the vane, but as it turned with the wind and became a narrow silhouette the AF points dropped off to just the centre vertical three and it didnt try to shift to the background (distant trees and sky). Might be promising that it stuck with the foreground. (Note that this was before i discovered i had animal detect turned off rather than on, so it didnt prioritise the real life bird in the first shot)

01022572-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

01022575-01.jpeg

Last edited:

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
LOL !!!

Ok, i'm either stupid or the firmware labelling is slightly unintuitive. Because I just realised that when you activate face detect you then see the up arrow "Animal detect Off". Thats not telling you that its currently OFF, its telling you to press up to turn it off, when it then reads "Animal detect On" (which means its actually off). mea culpa. So those intermittent hits before was the camera thinking my dog had a somewhat human face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, now that i know what the hell i'm doing it actually does work.......... including giving me a box around a pidgeon 20 meters away with the 40-150pro.........

what an idiot (facepalms)

I may have done exactly the same thing at first. ;)

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
The UI for Animal/Face/eye detect is just dumb.

Why couldn't it have the with/without modes on two icons selectable like the other focus modes instead an unusual button to customize one mode available ONLY from the dedicated focus mode screen (which I never use).

The G9 has two dumb hardware UI features. The location of the AE Lock button on the battery grip and the dedicated playback button on the left.

I have (the default focus mode button) FN1 programed as playback to be like the G85 because that allows me to 'chimp' on the EVF with one hand. That renders the dedicated playback button completely useless and means I have to put the focus menu on some other button if I ever need to use it which I didn't before this firmware update.
I agree. I have FN1 set up the same way. I put Focus mode on D-Pad left since that's how its configured by default for my GX8 and G85

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Although I can’t remember ever using face/eye/body AF so perhaps I’m not the most qualified person to comment! But that said I can see that to separate feb AF from animal AF might be useful. But is not the case that its yet another AF selection we all need to get used to?
To me it is more important that animal AF works! The bird/animal photogs will soon let us know if it does or does not!

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Update done. going birding Thursday for a full day shoot, will report back then on bird detect as well as near/far for in the rush kinda birds. Went very smooth and now I can say the G9 is a video beast, and yes I will do the V-Log update all so and I plan and shooting this camera until it dies.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I have flashed my G9 with no issue. Haven’t taken it out for a spin yet, or even paged through the menu. I use the front left switch for face detect. Not sure where I’ll set animal detect. I shoot a lot of wildlife

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Update done. going birding Thursday for a full day shoot, will report back then on bird detect as well as near/far for in the bush kinda birds. Went very smooth and now I can say the G9 is a video beast, and yes I will do the V-Log update all so and I plan and shooting this camera until it die

treben

Mu-43 Rookie
I must be missing something simple, but how do you enable the 4:2:2 10bit 4k30p internal mode? I've seen hdr needs hevc and manual video mode, and switching to mov will give 10bit 4:2:2 1080p but haven't figured it out for 4k30p...

Edit: I've also found 4:2:0 10bit 4k30p but that appears to only be for HDR.

Last edited:

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Flashed mine and the improvements are excellent. Animal AF works as promised with my two small dogs although sometimes it will place boxes over sofas and stuffed animals too. I also noticed the C-AF works noticeably better. Did excellent job of tracking the dogs in video.
C-AF in stills is also improved in the sense that the af doesn't flutter as wildly as before. It's very subtle now and I also want to mention that was with Olympus pro zoom 12-40mm.

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I must be missing something simple, but how do you enable the 4:2:2 10bit 4k30p internal mode? I've seen hdr needs hevc and manual video mode, and switching to mov will give 10bit 4:2:2 1080p but haven't figured it out for 4k30p...

Edit: I've also found 4:2:0 10bit 4k30p but that appears to only be for HDR.
20191119_151531[1].jpg

treben

Mu-43 Rookie
Is that only available in MOV format for you? I must have a setting discrepancy preventing this because under MOV I only have 1080p options.
Edit: Nevermind, thank you for the picture. I didn't realize there were two pages of settings under MOV and for some reason it defaulted to the second page showing only the 1080p options. My mistake.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is that only available in MOV format for you? I must have a setting discrepancy preventing this because under MOV I only have 1080p options.
Edit: Nevermind, thank you for the picture. I didn't realize there were two pages of settings under MOV and for some reason it defaulted to the second page showing only the 1080p options. My mistake.
Was just about to suggest that since the same thing happened to me.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
A snapshot with the bird deliberately well off centre to see if the animal detect could grab it. It seems to have. 40-150Pro with T/C at F4

01022623-02.jpeg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
So is animal defect enabled with face detect? I scrolled through the menus last night and didn’t find it. I did notice that when taking a picture of my cat, it would put a focus box around the cat, but only when face detect was on.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Animal detect is part of the face detect section. But you can turn it off if you want. The difference shows up in the icon. It'll have a bird beside the headshot silhouette when its on.

Latest threads

Top Bottom