New Firmware Updates Coming for Panasonic G9, GH5

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Wow. That list almost reads like a spec sheet for a new camera. This is impressive, I am surprised they put so much effort into a couple of bodies that are already a few years old. These don't just fix things, they add features. A+ for Panasonic.

The AF updates may fix some of the issues our BIF members have described.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In the fight for consumer loyalty (give the fact that lenses sales are also a key factor for camera companies), such a move drives both. Depending on what the high res does (does this make it hand hold-able or longer exposures possible), these upgrades are something that a G10 would have been expected to have. This also gives the camera more life, wonder if the discounts will dissaper ?

Last edited:

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I'd still like some 'refinement' type updates for the G9 but I'm not complaining. This firmware update is pretty awesome even if I won't be taking advantage of the video features.
Some pretty neat AF features I think I'd use:
- subject switch with joystick press in subject detection mode
- AF-ON [near shift]
- focus peaking in AF
I think I'd also make use of the new highlight weighted metering mode.
Good job, Panasonic!! Can't wait for the 19th.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
PhotoJoseph gives a good rundown of the new features and what they mean

In the fight for consumer loyalty (give the fact that lenses sales are also a key factor for camera companies), such a move drives both. Depending on what the high res does (does this make it hand hold-able or longer exposures possible), these up grades and something that a G10 would have been expected to have. This also gives the camera more life, wonder if the discounts will dissaper ?
It's a mode from the S series. It just does a better job of removing some of the artifacts you'd get when the scene moves while shooting HiRes. More than likely it looks for the movement and removes those parts of the frames that would cause the artifact if they were included. So those areas might be slightly lower res but if included u would get a blur because of the movement.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Many of us using the G9 have found it very irritating that birds that are sitting with busy backgrounds focus is missed. I think the Near/Far focus setting has been added to specifically address this complaint.

Having bought the G9 from some one who was going FF for a very low price given the <2K of shutter accusations and having it found it to be a great camera. The addition of the AI focusing, near/far, and 10 bit (plus the option for the log/wave forum) and 60 fPS 10 bit out to a recorder is a significant upgrade IMHO.

I wonder what the bite rate will be on the 10 bit video files.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Many of us using the G9 have found it very irritating that birds that are sitting with busy backgrounds focus is missed. I think the Near/Far focus setting has been added to specifically address this complaint.

Having bought the G9 from some one who was going FF for a very low price given the <2K of shutter accusations and having it found it to be a great camera. The addition of the AI focusing, near/far, and 10 bit (plus the option for the log/wave forum) and 60 fPS 10 bit out to a recorder is a significant upgrade IMHO.

I wonder what the bite rate will be on the 10 bit video files.
150MBps just like the GH5

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd like to see the live composite feature as well. I would think things like that would have a high likelihood of appearing.
Well, my prognostication skills seem to suck. Looks like a great upgrade, but I do really wish it had included the composite feature. Appears it does not.

paul macro

Mu-43 Regular
These AF functions should be interesting. I wonder how near is 'near'? Would it make sense to just keep it on AF near most of the time if you're doing an event and shooting people etc. Or is it based relative distance. ie regardless of actual distance , if you have something closer and something farther it focuses the nearer object ?

I think one of the issues Panasonic has with AF is that , yeah you can configure it to work better but there are now so many options its getting confusing to get the recipe 'just right' for any given situation. Where Sony is excelling is that their AF 'just works' w/o the deluge of config options and modes etc.

Agreed you have just reminded me how difficult it now is to set up for a chosen subject ,you need to carry that Panasonic guide with you if you are altering settings and even then there is no guarantee it will work ,even the Olympus is much easier to set with one or 2 variables the Panasonic has to many in the menu .

This is HUGE. The G9 now becomes a psuedo GH5 with better AF but with time limits and w/o some of the more advanced tools like the vectorscope etc. No All-I codecs either.

Exposure Offset might be interesting, esp for those of us who usually add +/- 1/3 EV to our shots anyway.
[MODE2] should make HighRes even more useful

I'm gonna have to check out the features of this Lumix Sync program .. hmm

I'm a little disappointed they didn't add Live Composite to the G9 though, esp considering its Photo focus but oh well.

Overall it looks like a great update. I really hope the AF improvements make a big difference. the E-M1 II update made a huge difference to theirs and made it a sought after video camera which it wasn't before.

In just a few years Panasonic went from being in the top 3 for AF to now being percieved as near the bottom. They need to fix that.

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Regular
3 days to go. Are camera firmware updates like every other electronic update, where you wait a few days before flashing to see if early adopters have issues? I've never owned a camera that was still receiving updates after purchase before.

pitkin

Mu-43 Rookie
I'll upgrade straight away because I'm like a kid at Christmas, even though I won't be able to get out with it until the weekend.
TBH the AF improvements seem move like sticking plasters rather than an actual fix for the AF issues, but hopefully they will help in certain situations.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
First shots with the new animal tracking mode on the G9. Works shockingly well from testing on my dog and cats so far but this has just been shooting them slowly walking around the house. Good news is that even though it draws a large box around the whole animal it does seem to try and put the focus point on one of the eyes.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Animal detection doesn't seem to be great so far, at least not on my beasties (Cairn Terriers). It puts a square around the face occasionally but far from regularly.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
It did however lock onto to my daughters face in shadow and gave me the cross on her eye, even though she was looking down. Wide open with Noct

01022513-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
LOL !!!

Ok, i'm either stupid or the firmware labelling is slightly unintuitive. Because I just realised that when you activate face detect you then see the up arrow "Animal detect Off". Thats not telling you that its currently OFF, its telling you to press up to turn it off, when it then reads "Animal detect On" (which means its actually off). mea culpa. So those intermittent hits before was the camera thinking my dog had a somewhat human face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, now that i know what the hell i'm doing it actually does work.......... including giving me a box around a pidgeon 20 meters away with the 40-150pro.........

what an idiot (facepalms)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom