New Firmware Updates Coming for Panasonic G9, GH5

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Looks like the G9 and GH5, etc. will be getting a new firmware update soon from Panasonic.
Wonder what new changes/additions will be there?
GR

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
I'm guessing it's either going to be features already in the S1/S1R/S1H, or it might be new features they want to test for the GH6, although it seems a little early for that. If you'll recall, the m43 bodies got an update just prior to the FF bodies launch, which was likely Pany beta testing things.

Option for Linear manual focusing, and the Animal AF already in the FF cameras would be welcome additions.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Trying to think of what I've been wanting on the G9. I mean, better AF is always welcome, but what do I feel is missing?

Longer max shutter speed on Hi-res would be good.

The sequential blending thing from the Gx9 might be fun, but not a big deal.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I would hope it would fix the focusing problems when an object has a busy background on the G9.
I have found it happens more with bright backgrounds, rather than busy. But I agree this is something they should look into. I have defaulted to using pin-point for my AF-S as a result but sacrificing a little bit of AF speed.

I'd personally be happy with just some of the annoyance fixes that would make the G9 a more 'refined'camera.
But if this update is for GH5/GH5s and G9, I think it might be a feature add and/or an AF algorithm upgrade that affects all three cameras.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have found it happens more with bright backgrounds, rather than busy. But I agree this is something they should look into. I have defaulted to using pin-point for my AF-S as a result but sacrificing a little bit of AF speed.

I'd personally be happy with just some of the annoyance fixes that would make the G9 a more 'refined'camera.
But if this update is for GH5/GH5s and G9, I think it might be a feature add and/or an AF algorithm upgrade that affects all three cameras.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too since they're all the high end Panasonic MFT cameras that have all the necessary hardware. Live Composite from the G90 would be nice too.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
43Rumours describe it as a "major" firmware upgrade. It'll be interesting to see what "major" means in reality.

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too since they're all the high end Panasonic MFT cameras that have all the necessary hardware. Live Composite from the G90 would be nice too.
I'd like to see the live composite feature as well. I would think things like that would have a high likelihood of appearing.

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Veteran
I can’t really complain about the performance of my G9, but hey, it’s good to see they are still investing in the camera.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Hmm, well, I suppose a firmware update which doubled the size of the sensor would indeed be a major one. ;)

sigamy

Mu-43 Regular
Any chance the GH5 gets the High Res mode? Or is hardware required for this?

I'd love the rear LCD to get the red frame around entire picture when recording video.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
LUMIX Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless Camera
GH5 Firmware Version 2.6 / GH5S Firmware Version 1.4 / G9 Firmware Version 2.0
1. Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters (All)

・Ability to use Profoto wireless transmitters “Air Remote TTL-O/P” and “Profoto Connect-O/P.”
* All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
2. Improved AF performance
GH5S G9

・[Animal Detect] has been added to AF mode. Utilizing Advanced AI Technology, animals, including cats, dogs and birds, can be detected in addition to humans. The focus frame is automatically set on the target subject by analyzing the size and position of the target subject in the viewing image. The camera continues tracking these subjects even when they turn their back to the camera.
・It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect] mode.
All・[AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions have been added. [AF-ON: Near Shift] preferably focuses on a subject nearby while [AF-ON: Far Shift] preferably focuses on a subject far away.
・A Focus Peaking function is available in MF and any AF modes.
・Continuous AF capability is available on the live view screen in Creative Video mode or in other video recording modes when the video recording area is displayed.
3. Enhanced video functions (G9)
・4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording is supported.
・4K 60p/50p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output is supported.
・Luminance level for 10-bit video is supported.
・VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting is supported (FHD 2-180 fps/4K 2-60 fps).
・HDR video recording is supported.
・V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately).
4. Other major improvements*
All
・[AWBw] has been added to WB mode.
・[Highlight Weighted] has been added to [Metering mode].
・[Exposure Offset Adjust] has been added to the Custom menu, which enables the user to adjust the standard exposure value for all metering modes.
・[0.5SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
・AE can be locked with the [AF/AE LOCK] button when ISO Auto is set in M mode.
・[MODE1] has been added to the Live View Boost function, which increases the frame rate for smooth image displays to enable easier manual focusing.
G9
・[MODE2] has been added to High Resolution mode, which reduces the subject’s motion blur.
*For more details of the update program, please refer to the firmware update information page of each model to be released on November 19, 2019.
LUMIX Sync Ver1.0.4
・Wireless connection (operation) with GH5/GH5S/G9 is supported

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
2. Improved AF performance
GH5S G9

・[Animal Detect] has been added to AF mode. Utilizing Advanced AI Technology, animals, including cats, dogs and birds, can be detected in addition to humans. The focus frame is automatically set on the target subject by analyzing the size and position of the target subject in the viewing image. The camera continues tracking these subjects even when they turn their back to the camera.
・It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect] mode.
All・[AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions have been added. [AF-ON: Near Shift] preferably focuses on a subject nearby while [AF-ON: Far Shift] preferably focuses on a subject far away.
・A Focus Peaking function is available in MF and any AF modes.
・Continuous AF capability is available on the live view screen in Creative Video mode or in other video recording modes when the video recording area is displayed.
These AF functions should be interesting. I wonder how near is 'near'? Would it make sense to just keep it on AF near most of the time if you're doing an event and shooting people etc. Or is it based relative distance. ie regardless of actual distance , if you have something closer and something farther it focuses the nearer object ?

I think one of the issues Panasonic has with AF is that , yeah you can configure it to work better but there are now so many options its getting confusing to get the recipe 'just right' for any given situation. Where Sony is excelling is that their AF 'just works' w/o the deluge of config options and modes etc.

3. Enhanced video functions (G9)
・4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording is supported.
・4K 60p/50p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output is supported.
・Luminance level for 10-bit video is supported.
・VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting is supported (FHD 2-180 fps/4K 2-60 fps).
・HDR video recording is supported.
・V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately).
This is HUGE. The G9 now becomes a psuedo GH5 with better AF but with time limits and w/o some of the more advanced tools like the vectorscope etc. No All-I codecs either.

4. Other major improvements*
All
・[AWBw] has been added to WB mode.
・[Highlight Weighted] has been added to [Metering mode].
・[Exposure Offset Adjust] has been added to the Custom menu, which enables the user to adjust the standard exposure value for all metering modes.
・[0.5SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
・AE can be locked with the [AF/AE LOCK] button when ISO Auto is set in M mode.
・[MODE1] has been added to the Live View Boost function, which increases the frame rate for smooth image displays to enable easier manual focusing.
G9
・[MODE2] has been added to High Resolution mode, which reduces the subject’s motion blur.
*For more details of the update program, please refer to the firmware update information page of each model to be released on November 19, 2019.
LUMIX Sync Ver1.0.4
・Wireless connection (operation) with GH5/GH5S/G9 is supported
Exposure Offset might be interesting, esp for those of us who usually add +/- 1/3 EV to our shots anyway.
[MODE2] should make HighRes even more useful

I'm gonna have to check out the features of this Lumix Sync program .. hmm

I'm a little disappointed they didn't add Live Composite to the G9 though, esp considering its Photo focus but oh well.

Overall it looks like a great update. I really hope the AF improvements make a big difference. the E-M1 II update made a huge difference to theirs and made it a sought after video camera which it wasn't before.

In just a few years Panasonic went from being in the top 3 for AF to now being percieved as near the bottom. They need to fix that.

sigamy

Mu-43 Regular
Why no Animal Detect for GH5? And I really wanted the red border around frame when recording video...but overall good updates.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom