new firmware needed to realize the promise of legacy lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ddegomez, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    If you've ever done a search for a Micro 4/3 lens adapter on ebay or amazon you know there's alot of retailers selling adapters, so there must be alot of you folks trying to use them. Well for me it's trying alright, trying my patience!
    I own an Olympus Ep1 and a Panasonic Gh1. The way the Oly works with legacy is super stupid; after all, hasn't Oly had a OM legacy adapter from the very beginning?
    At least with the panny, after you've pushed the 2 buttons and focused, a half press of the shutter gets you out of MF assist so you can compose and shoot. With the Oly you have push that 'enter button' one more time (without pushing the WB or ISO button).
    Did these camera makers even think about the best way to use legacy? Or did they think "If we make it too easy for them they won't buy our newest lens offering" ?
    I've supported Olympus since 1976 when I bought a new OM 2, and I deserve, hell, WE ALL deserve a firmware update or a HACK. Here's how it would work. When the camera senses there's no AF lens is attached it automaticaly goes into MF mode. Then, with a single press of the +/- button on the Oly or the Q.MENU button on the Panny, you get magnified view, and, with a half press of the shutter it's back to full view.
    If you know how to hack a firmware (or know someone) please consider it. As i said befor there are alot of people spending good money for adapters; I believe they'd spend good money to make it a pleasure to use thier legacy glass again.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. billhinge

billhinge New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2011

I don't have the GH1 but I do have the GH2, all you need to do here is press the thumb wheel (also adjusts magnification factor), I find it easy to focus even at 1.1 after practise especially if the lens has those scalloped focusing rings for your finger tips
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Yeah Bill, he is saying that his Lumix is easy to use but the Olympus requires an (to him) awkward OK-button-press to un-zoom itself for composing the shot - instead of the shutter button helf-press, which is nicer.
    I only have a G1 so I've been happy all this time ... :)
  4. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Unless I can update my gh1 with gh2 firmware, your info is worthless.
  5. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    No, what I'm saying is; when you use an EVF (or the LCD with a loupe) you press the camera to your face and leave it there untill you've finished shooting. That's the way we've done it since the Leica was invented 70 years ago. Having to press a small button, in a cluster of 5 buttons, with your thumb is very awkward.
    If you use your gh1 like a point and shoot, at arms length, then yes it would be much easier.
  6. TimDanMick

TimDanMick Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    I agree it is no major leap to expect the sensing of a non AF lense and go to MF.
  7. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    so, what you're complaining about is that you have to press button that is located where your thumb should go one extra time before you take a picture when you're in the magnified mode?
  8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
  9. billhinge

billhinge New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2011

Well sorry I spoke, ignore it then!
  10. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    it would have been nice to auto zoom in with half press focus in manual focus when using legacy lenses. Right now I am ok with the awkwardness of manual shooting, the only issue I have is when its magnified, I wish I could just lower exposure from that mode.
  11. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I would like to see Olympus modify the firmware to implement a "virtual" center-spot like I have in an SLR. Provide a magnified image in the center of the Liveview image, but leave the main portion of the frame 1:1. That way you can focus and frame at the same time, and do not have to fiddle with buttons.
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I see your point and agree

I think that both olympus and Panny probably feel any research or manpower into coding firmware to benefit legacy lens and users is money down the toilet, Since they won't benefit financially from it. I mean after all we are all using the cameras anyway the way they are . And i have a G1 and no auto-focus lenses, I exclusively use adapted lenses. As for hacking Pannys firmware that might be hard. I know that after the guy hacker13 did the video hack for the GH1 panny started manufacturing encryption hardware into all the G series cameras so no one could hack the firmware. God they are idiots.

NO chrith, he is also saying that to initiate the focus assist is awkward. I agree also , i wish that when my dial is set to MF that if i press one button somewhere on-top it would zoom in. As it is i have to first look through , then take my eye away an press the necessary button , poise my thumb at the OK , then look back at the VF then press and focus.
  13. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    and eliminate the moving focus point

Yes, a magnified centre square for focussing would be most welcome, but a functtion to make the green focus point frame stay put in the centre would be even nicer.

When handling the Olympus with one hand, whether using manuals or natives, the focus point easily shifts around as the little wheel is regularly "accidentally" pressed. Hack or official firmware mod. number one: choice of disabling buttons.

14. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

I agree with the OP's sentiments. I can't stand the way the E-P1/E-P2 work in manual focus. I am constantly fighting this camera with this button-pressing tango, going in & out of focus assist, or even worse, when wanting to change ISO while in green square mode. The latter involves more button presses than a Space Shuttle on re-entry. If it weren't such a great camera in every other way, I'd have given it up, but for me there is no alternative currently that comes as close to what I'm after in a camera than these Olympus E-P's. Hoping that an E-P3 will improve things....
  15. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    I've never had this problem, maybe its a case of sausage fingers.
  16. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

Don't have sausage fingers, just a very low tolerance to bad engineering. The Olympus interface is good in many ways, but completely falls apart when in "green square" mode.
  17. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Just for (my) clarification. I have a GF1. To focus assist, I press the thumb wheel. There's no need for two button presses, or to go to the menu button cluster. I played around with a G2, and it worked the same way. Is the GH1 not this way? If this is the case, is the G1 also not this way?

Thanks for the info.
  18. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    From RDM: "I think that both olympus and Panny probably feel any research or manpower into coding firmware to benefit legacy lens and users is money down the toilet, Since they won't benefit financially from it."

I hope this is not the case, it sounds so sinister. And financially it doesn't make sense.
    First, the code to create magnify is already there. Only the code to turn on magnify needs to be changed. Hey, if I really wanted to ask for the moon, I'd want a highlighted visual display of what's in focus, sort of a manualy assited auto focus (wouldn't THAT be cool!).

Second, with it's short flange to film plane, millions of existing lenses can be adapted to M4/3. This is not a reason to avoid buying M4/3. It's a sales point Oly and Panny can boast about, but only if it's done right.
  19. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    carthago delendum est

cannot remember whether it was Plinius the younger or the older who kept repating this at the end of all his speeches, but like him, I wish to repeat myself: the green olympus square must be made to stay put in the middle.

And as a bonus, one might also allow the user to select where the light metering should take place.

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010

Still, I love my EP1. But I agree with you.

Thinking of trying the Vf2 on an EP2, just to see if that helps in MF.