'New Firmware Gives Pentax Q Owners Focus Peaking'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Nov 1, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting! Not sure I would want a Q but I think this shows that all any brand needs to do to ADD focus peaking is a change to the firmware. Come Olympus and Panasonic, get with it!!! We want focus peaking!

2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I want a white Q just for the cuteness

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    By the way, the Pentax Q price has dropped to $350 officially now.

4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Where do you see it for $350?

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  6. speedandstyle

$350 is the price this camera should have been to begin with! - IMHO
    The sensor is tiny, 1/2.3 inch, the same size as the better P&S cameras. I do think it has a place in the camera kingdom but NOT at the original price.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, 1/2.3" is the size of the less-good P&S sensors (the ones in budget compacts and superzooms). Good P&Ses like the XZ-1 or LX-5 have a sensor more than 50% larger.

8. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Yes , but the Q is a really nice camera compared to the XZ-1's for controls and flexibility...I'm currently frustrated/enjoying using an XZ-1 and like the Q way more.

Here's one with a cheap 50mm:
    P-Q_w50mm_f1_7_MD_w-PP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    One more snap with crop...with the same MD 50mm f1.7. Again not professional stuff but pretty good.
    P-Q_w50mm_f1_7_MD_w-PP-2.

P-Q_w50mm_f1_7_MD_w-PP_Crop.

10. speedandstyle

Note I said "better" and not "best" P&S. The cheapest P&S cameras use the even smaller 1/3" sensor size, of coarse even that is better than the microscopic cell phone size of 1/6".

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  12. speedandstyle

I would gladdly give up the space that the art filters use in exchange for focus peaking! I tested the art filters when I first got the camera but never used them since. If I want a artsy filter added, I will add it with photoshop.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sorry, didn't mean to drag things off-topic. My point was simply that the Pentax Q's sensor size doesn't distinguish it even among basic P&Ses. 1/2.3" is what you find in your $100 Finepix and Powershot models.

That's not to say the Q doesn't have a great many good things to offer (including, now, focus peaking!), some of which Panasonic and Olympus would do well to copy.