1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

'New Firmware Gives Pentax Q Owners Focus Peaking'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Nov 1, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting! Not sure I would want a Q but I think this shows that all any brand needs to do to ADD focus peaking is a change to the firmware. Come Olympus and Panasonic, get with it!!! We want focus peaking!

2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I want a white Q just for the cuteness

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    By the way, the Pentax Q price has dropped to $350 officially now.

4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Where do you see it for $350?

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  6. speedandstyle

$350 is the price this camera should have been to begin with! - IMHO
    The sensor is tiny, 1/2.3 inch, the same size as the better P&S cameras. I do think it has a place in the camera kingdom but NOT at the original price.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, 1/2.3" is the size of the less-good P&S sensors (the ones in budget compacts and superzooms). Good P&Ses like the XZ-1 or LX-5 have a sensor more than 50% larger.

8. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    Yes , but the Q is a really nice camera compared to the XZ-1's for controls and flexibility...I'm currently frustrated/enjoying using an XZ-1 and like the Q way more.

Here's one with a cheap 50mm:
    P-Q_w50mm_f1_7_MD_w-PP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    One more snap with crop...with the same MD 50mm f1.7. Again not professional stuff but pretty good.
    P-Q_w50mm_f1_7_MD_w-PP-2.

P-Q_w50mm_f1_7_MD_w-PP_Crop.

10. speedandstyle

Note I said "better" and not "best" P&S. The cheapest P&S cameras use the even smaller 1/3" sensor size, of coarse even that is better than the microscopic cell phone size of 1/6".

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  12. speedandstyle

I would gladdly give up the space that the art filters use in exchange for focus peaking! I tested the art filters when I first got the camera but never used them since. If I want a artsy filter added, I will add it with photoshop.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sorry, didn't mean to drag things off-topic. My point was simply that the Pentax Q's sensor size doesn't distinguish it even among basic P&Ses. 1/2.3" is what you find in your $100 Finepix and Powershot models.

That's not to say the Q doesn't have a great many good things to offer (including, now, focus peaking!), some of which Panasonic and Olympus would do well to copy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.