New Firmware for E-M1 (v3.1) and E-M5 Mark II (v1.2)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gravijaflare, Jul 29, 2015.

1. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    E-M1 Firmware version 3.0 updates to version 3.1
    When firmware is updated to version 3.1, settings other than AF Focus adjustments are RESET.
    -Addition of Underwater Picture Mode with control for white balance, exposure and flash compensation, aperture and shutter speed.
    -Addition of Live Boost II (technology previously announced on the E-M5 Mark II, now available on the E-M1).

E-M5 Mark II Firmware Updates Ver 1.1 to Ver 1.2
    -Addition of Underwater Picture Mode with control for white balance, exposure and flash compensation, aperture and shutter speed.

http://www.43rumors.com/new-e-m1-and-e-m5ii-firmware-update-released/

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I swear, I am going to start a freaking kickstarter, to make an iOS/Android app that records your settings and then re-applies them once updates are done...

Z...

• Like Like x 4
  3. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Jacksonville Beach, Florida
    Allen Forrest
    Sign me up for the iOS version!

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    This is old news. Came out in June.

5. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Agreed !!

6. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I thought there may have been another thread, but thought that was 3.0.

Z...

7. jasomill

jasomill Mu-43 Rookie

May 11, 2015
    Jason T. Miller
    Is there a (presumably unsupported) API? Because that sounds more like a weekend project than a business plan.

At any rate, given that you need a Mac or Windows PC to apply the update, wouldn't something that runs on OS X and Windows* make more sense?

<rant>
    I only mention this because the trend of pointlessly limiting functionality to mobile platforms drives me crazy — and I say that as someone who owns and uses an iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. All of which make handy remote shutter releases, but, unlike my MacBook Pro and Surface Pro 3, are perfectly incapable of running Capture One, Photoshop, or Final Cut Pro, and, moreover, are also incapable of being controlled remotely from OS X or Windows.
    </rant>

* Not necessarily exclusively — a self-contained, single-page, serverless JavaScript "Web app", potentially distributed as a browser extension for [in]security reasons, would be ideal.

8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

What needs to happen is Oly need to get their fingers out of their rear ends and fix this for good. A "pro" marked camera that forgets its settings every time you upgrade software? What? The operating system can write to files, so even a workaround in the form of dumping NVRAM contents to a file before the upgrade and re-populating them on boot would work. While they're at it, just implement config backup / restore to SD card, like some big vendors do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Not every time. Only two of the E-M1 firmware upgrades have required the user to re-enter their configuration settings.

(Of course I agree with you.)

10. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    That's two too many!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    When I upgraded my E-M5ii firmware from 1.0 to 1.2 it reset all my settings. o_O

12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thats why I have yet to upgrade my EM5 II yet. The upgrades they have so far which I do appreciate really aren't anything worth while for me to upgrade.
    I can deal with the camera turning on for 2.3 seconds. I want them to update the video so it records in All i @60fps not just the 24 and 30.

13. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Pretty much. This would be a very good start.

And app that also lets you configure your camera on a laptop/iOS/Android device by dragging and dropping functions to a button would bring a new level of appreciation altogether...

Z...

14. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Actually, I'd do it for OSX/Windows as well, but I have no knowledge of how to program, nor any way to figure out how to get into the firmware to even get started (unlike the folk at CHDK who hack Canon firmware for the better good of all). Thus the kickstarter, so I could find someone to pay to do it for us.

Z...

15. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I was very unhappy to see all my custom settings gone on the EM-5 MK II firmware update.
    That does not happen on any of my Panasonic cameras.
    Panasonic uses the SD card method for updating firmware and in the end all my settings remain untouched.
    Why Olympus can do the same?...
    Very annoying!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. techsplorer

techsplorer Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    Until Olympus, someone else or maybe even I can create an app or other approach to save and restore settings, This excel worksheet I found at least allows me to save settings for reference to manually restore:

http://www.biofos.com/mft/em1settings_fw2_final.xls

It's specifically for the e-m1, but I've adapted it for my e-m5 mk II. It's better than nothing for now and is also a handy reference sheet for noting all the different settings and their locations regardless.

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's for sharing the Excel worksheet.
    I will try to adapt it to the EM-5 MK II when I have the time (hopefully before the next firmware update).

18. techsplorer

techsplorer Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    No problem. It was a good find. I took a spare evening to review and place my settings into the sheet. Since the e-m1 and e-m5ii are very similar there wasn't too much I had to modify. The bulk of the settings I'm sure could apply to most of the e-m line.

19. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    This is one of the things that irks me about Olympus. These firmware upgrades that destroys customized settings. Argh.

Just spend the last 15 minutes adjusting everything after the firmware update.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  20. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Well, all 3.X upgrades so far clear the settings. I THINK. I've had an E-M1 since pre-order so I went through all s/w versions, but can't remember if any s/w versions before 3.X did it. What I'm saying is that they used to preserve the settings.

Anyway, there was a news item on 43rumors recently about a new s/w that supposedly changes something about the menu and the autor suggested that backup of settings is coming. A bit far-fetched, but one thing I know about 43rumors is that although this guy often blows the rumours up a bit, tabloid style, and it often sounds naive, in the end it's often true. So let's wait and see. It's such a dynamic market and customers come and go - many / most vendors don't care about customer loyalty anymore. If they dit, fixing stuff like this would be a priority, and instead we're getting an E-M10-XXVII apparently.