1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Filter Holder for Oly 7-14mm m.ZD, for 100mm Lee filters

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by barry13, Nov 1, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Someone is selling filter holders, 3-D printed on Shapeways:
    http://www.7-14filter.com

They also have adapters for the Oly 12-40mm and 40-150mm Pro.

Barry

• Like Like x 2
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I dunno.. without anything but not tensioned friction holding it to lens, there are good chances to see your expensive filters to slide off when camera pointed down.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Maybe rubber cement or some other removable glue would be prudent?

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    But then you won't be able to use lens cap.
    I would design it with same clamp as Oly 75mm hood.

5. Enzojz

Enzojz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    Well

Tested with 3 glasses filters pointing 60° down for 15 minutes, nothing bad happened.

That was something a beta tester pointed out during the testing, and I paid much attention for this point before let it available for all, the size of the inner diameter and the thickness of rubber foam is chosen with great care. It's almost the only important change between the beta and the final.

Clamping is not a bad idea, however it's not necessary.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Point it all the way down and give it a good knock or shake - that's the proper way to test and then, may be I'll trust it for jumping around some rocky creeks.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    This looks similar to the "filterdude" I'm using with my filters. I haven't had any issues thus far....It's pretty snug.

8. Enzojz

Enzojz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    No problem, survived knocking and great shaking with lens downward without any movement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi,
    Dumb question...

1. on the 7-14 Pro kit:
    Adapter with customized rails I & II, the maximal possibility of using your 100mm filters on your M.Zuiko 7-14mm.
    What are the customized I and II rails? What is the difference? (I've never used a 100mm x 100mm system)

2. Does the pro kit allow for rotation without vignette at 7mm?

3. Is there any light leakage with a 10 stop ND? Does the ND need any gaskets?

4. Is CPL compatible?

5. Does the filter touch the lens or hood of the camera? i.e. any risk of damage to lens or filter?

6. Any vignette with using multiple filters at 7mm?

7. For the 12-40mm and 40-150mm, the rubber adapter seems expensive at ~$35 AUD each. Would it work if I just purchase a separate 100mm Filter Holder (Lee/Haida/Cokin-Z) to use on these two lenses?

10. Enzojz

Enzojz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    Hello,

1. The rail type I is capable of inserting 3 filters, but on 7-14 PRO, you once you rotate it, you will have vignette. The rail type II is capable of inserting 2 filters, and on 7-14 PRO you can rotate it with GND filters without causing vignette. However with ND filters, since there are gasket, your rotation will probably cause vignette.(I cut my own ND gasket to reduce it)

2. As explained above

3. It's well sealed at backend. You need gaskets like others.(Since you are always using Lee holder)

4. I don't think so, the problem is vignette, 7-14 PRO is so wide you only placing 105mm CPL at the first layer and will probably evite vignette( from calculates, 95mm is enough) , in this case, you can't use square filters. So I suppose an adapter and trying to attach the cpl without rails is the only case that will work fine. (I don't have any 105mm CPL so I tell this from my calculates)

5.My 2.5mm Lee GNDs doesn't touch the lens hood, there's a gap of about 0.5mm. The gasket of Big Stopper touches the lens hood when inserting it, for me it doesn't make much problem since the gasket is soft.

6. Rail type I : 3 filters not rotated and no vignette. Rail type II: 2 filters without gasket.

7. I don't quite understand the last question, the adapater works with Lee holder for sure, and I don't know the compability between Haida and Cokin Z, it seems Cokin Z has a different design to Lee and I don't know very much about the compability from Haida to Lee since I contact them once the response from Haida is "they can not guarantee it"